• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do i know when i should get another bunny?

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Its only been three weeks since my boy went to the bridge.
Ive got all these thoughts going through my head about whether i should get another bun / bunnies.
I think i do want them, then i feel guilty, then i get upset, then i think yeah i do want more buns.
Its just i feel like when im at home now i just sit bored watching TV, when before i used to snuggle into kermit and watch TV and it didnt seem as boring!!
I just miss my wee man and i am in turmoil about new buns......och!
kermit15-1.jpg

You'll know in your heart when it's time. I know with me and the dogs, it's been everything from immediate to several months, but I knew it was right.

Maybe go to a rescue and have a look to see if any bunny chooses you. Don't feel guilty about 'replacing' Kermit because that's not what you do when you invite a new pet into your life. They will be their own little person with different quirks than Kermit had. What better memorial could you give him than rescuing another bunny and loving him/her like you did him?

I know it's so difficult to know when the time is right. I like to think that when we've got a new bun that the bun we've lost would approve - because we're giving a rescue bun or two a chance of a happy life like they had.

When we lost our Jemima (british giant) in January, we rescued Emily & Charlotte a week later. Whilst they will never be Jemima & couldn't ever replace her - we felt we needed to offer a home to another giant bun or two. Some might think that was too soon, but for us it helped us come to terms with losing her - there still is a huge Jemima shaped hole in our lives, but in a way Emily & Charlotte (plus our other buns) gave us lots to focus on.

Everyone is different & the right time is not the same for everyone. Kermit would approve that his mummy & daddy are potentially wanting to help another wee bun in the future. All I'd say is don't feel guilty about getting another bun, Kermit's memories will be with you forever & no other bun will take them away from you. However, they may help give you new memories & happiness to help you heal from Kermit's loss.

Yes when i lose pets i tend to get another as it helps me focus on something, but also, recently i adopted another cat who had been left behind when someone moved and it was only this year that i lost my herby cat who was basically like my shadow. Well my new one has really bonded and sleeps in bed with me like Herby did and although is different in many ways seems to have formed the same strong bond with me. Anyway the thing is i like to think that Herby found him for me to look after me now that he cant. We always used to joke that herby would do anything for me and looked after me aswell as i was looking after him so it is like he has found me another cat to keep me sane and watch out for me. So you could think of it like that, that Kermit will point you at the right bunny to keep you company now that he cant. xx

Thanks guys.
Just hard to know whats right.
I deffo will get two buns, and i have two in mind, just need to see if they are ready to come to me when im ready to have them....hope so.

when i lost Blueberry muffin ...i lost a very special bun ...we had always said he was a bun in a million and we would never replace him.

but the same week we lost him a bun had come into rescue that i fell for straight away ... he stayed ...

he hasnt replaced Blueberry muffin...no bun ever will ...but i love him just as much . He is like Blue in some ways but totaly opposite in others ..and he has helped both me and Hope (blues partener) cope with loseing him .

i do hope you feel you can give a home to more bunnies ...

I lost two fo my buns this year, Tipsy was a beautiful blue Silver Fox and mysteriously lost use of her legs one morning when I went out to the hutch, the vet gave her some pain killers but she just gave up a few days later, it was such a shame because she had fought and beat abcsesses two years ago. She was 7.

Tabby died last month after losing alot of weight suddenly. She had an op on her teeth and survived the op but just didnt perk up and lost her fight a few days later. It was destroying. Tabby was 8 and my first ever rabbit.

So I have recently fallen in love with another rabbit, a blue nethie buck, but he'll never fill tha huge gap these two left, they were just so great in their different ways. I still miss Tabby running around my legs honking and sneaking her the odd biscuit and Tipsy just loved being with people, you could lie her on your lap and she'd happily go to sleep. She was my brave (and expencive) warrier for fighting so hard when she had abcsesses on her leg and tummy.

RIP Tabby and Tipsy

Taking name suggestions for a blue self nethie buck, see pic below

I lost two fo my buns this year, Tipsy was a beautiful blue Silver Fox and mysteriously lost use of her legs one morning when I went out to the hutch, the vet gave her some pain killers but she just gave up a few days later, it was such a shame because she had fought and beat abcsesses two years ago. She was 7.

Tabby died last month after losing alot of weight suddenly. She had an op on her teeth and survived the op but just didnt perk up and lost her fight a few days later. It was destroying. Tabby was 8 and my first ever rabbit.

So I have recently fallen in love with another rabbit, a blue nethie buck, but he'll never fill tha huge gap these two left, they were just so great in their different ways. I still miss Tabby running around my legs honking and sneaking her the odd biscuit and Tipsy just loved being with people, you could lie her on your lap and she'd happily go to sleep. She was my brave (and expencive) warrier for fighting so hard when she had abcsesses on her leg and tummy.

RIP Tabby and Tipsy

Taking name suggestions for a blue self nethie buck, see pic below

My kermit used to be a 'honker' i loved it!
Your buns are lovely.:love:

I was so heart broken it was 2 yrs before I took the plunge again. Even gave away my hutches etc.

But you know its the greatest way to honour their memory, by offering all that love and care to another bun.

What's more we have given that opportunity to older buns from rescue who.

Go with your heart - which feeling is strongest and most persistent?

You've got so much love and care to give somebunny. you'll be a wasted bunny mummy if you don't:);)

Remember Kermit and how happy he was,and while a new bunny wouldn't replace Kermit, they could turn out to be as special.

Take your time and don't rush into it but just have a look about when you feel up to it. There'll be that bunny waiting for you.

Big hug x

Just because you go onto love other rabbits doesn't change how important Kermit was.

There are so many bunnies in rescue that I don't think you should feel guilty. Maybe you'd be able to give a special needs bunny a home? I know our local rescue struggles to find homes for rabbits who don't look 'perfect' such as those with head tilt.

I agree with all the previous posts. You will know when the time is right and which bun/s is/are best for you. Just take your time. I'm sure Kermit will be proud to have started you off as a bunny mummy and because you love him so much, you'll never forget him, as I'm sure he knows. I lost a very special bunnie 5 years ago. She is still talked about, even cried over sometimes and remains an important part of my life. I know I will never forget her despite having had many bunnies following her. Your heart and feelings will sort themselves out without displacing Kermit when you get new buns. Good luck and don't worry too much, just follow your heart :)

TeflonsShadow, your buns are gorgeous, I'm sorry you lost two such beauties. Your new blue is gorgeous, what about Tippy, Tilly, Taffy or Tammy to fit with the theme?

I'm sure Kermit would be so happy to think that you were going to give another bunny/bunnies the chance of a wonderful home with you.

I had a rabbit once called Keegan a blue lop and I absolutely adored him, he was the only one I had at that time and when he went to the bridge in 2002 I was absolutely heartbroken and loss weight and became depressed as he gave me so much happiness in the 5 years I had him so I decided to 'Thank Him' for being such a wonderful bunny by giving homes to unwanted and dumped bunnies and now I have 14. Keegan was my inspiration to help other bunnies like him. I still miss him very much and still cry over him and always will.

I'm sure you'll know when the time is right, and when the perfect bunny is waiting for you in rescue. I agree with everyone else, giving a wonderful new home to rescue bunnies is a great way to remember and honour your beautiful Kermit :)

I'm struggling with this as well. Its only been 1 day since Mopsy left us but I hate seeing Peter on his own.

Leo and Lila always chase each other round the run when its pellet time and Peter and Mopsy had caught on to this and had started to do the same but in a very playful way. When I went to do pellets this morning Peter started to run about looking for Mopsy to chase, then seemed to remember and stopped.:cry:

I think I will find a new bun sooner rather than later for his sake more than mine. I will not be trying to replace Mopsy, she was 1 in a million and no bun could replace her, I will just take the opportunity to give love to another bun and definately a rescue bun.

I'm struggling with this as well. Its only been 1 day since Mopsy left us but I hate seeing Peter on his own.

Leo and Lila always chase each other round the run when its pellet time and Peter and Mopsy had caught on to this and had started to do the same but in a very playful way. When I went to do pellets this morning Peter started to run about looking for Mopsy to chase, then seemed to remember and stopped.:cry:

I think I will find a new bun sooner rather than later for his sake more than mine. I will not be trying to replace Mopsy, she was 1 in a million and no bun could replace her, I will just take the opportunity to give love to another bun and definately a rescue bun.
Chris here, sorry to hear about Mopsy. :(

I know how you're feeling. It's been nearly 2 weeks since Ollie went to the bridge and I'm hopefully going to be taking on a foster in a couple of weeks time. I've had a lot of flac from my family, saying that I'm just replacing her and I've found it really hard to explain how I feel to them.
I like to think that she would be glad I'm giving this girly a home, even if it is only until she finds her forever home.
You'll find the right time, to be honest, it's still a little early for me to think about having another permanent bun, but I always managed to get timing wrong! It just so happens that I have space when she needs it.
Kermit would be proud of his mummy for helping needy buns.....I know it will be hard but just remember that he will always be with you and nothing will take that away.
*hugs*

Back