• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re: Chesters bottom:( Help/advice please

Hunnybunny2007

Warren Veteran
Re: Chesters bottom:( Help/advice please

Some of you will know I adopted Chester last week, the vet thinks he's between 5-7 years old and when he came he had a dirty bottom, and his poo was very soft/runny/smelly. He's been to the vets, he's been on a course of Baytril, he's a snuffle bunny, he's now on a course of panacur.
The main problem is he won't eat hay, I buy farm bales, we have tried him on the older one, a new one which smells and looks so nice I'm tempted by it:lol: I got him some excel herbage, ready grass, timothy hay, but he refuses to eat it and am now waiting for the selection pack from hay experts to arrive. I'm trying to wean him off muesli onto excel mature pellets, (which he loves, he's only having a few, I hide them amongst the hay, in the hope he might be tempted, but he just chucks it out the way). He has limited veg.
He tries to eat most of his poo, I assume this is because he's lacking hay in his diet:?
We have to keep washing his bottom and the fur around his tail had already been cut off before I got him.
Any help/advice/suggestions would be welcome:D

I would cut out all veg tbh for the moment, and perhaps try him on fibreplex. You can buy some protexin Pro-Fibre from vetuk, it's a complimentary pellet feed that can be given along with food or ad lib. It also contains some probiotics and prebiotics to help normal digestive function.:)

Yep probiotics will help..does he eat fresh grass?

I've got Fibreplex in, so will start him on that, I've been giving him fresh dandelions but not grass as I wasn't sure if that would give him the runs as he's been couped up for a few months without any:?

I would cut out all veg tbh for the moment, and perhaps try him on fibreplex. You can buy some protexin Pro-Fibre from vetuk, it's a complimentary pellet feed that can be given along with food or ad lib. It also contains some probiotics and prebiotics to help normal digestive function.:)

I didn't give him any fresh yesterday and this morning he was in a bigger mess:roll: I'm at a loss as what to feed him on, he loves the muesli mix, because he's used to it, I don't want to reduce that too much as he's already underweight, (although he has put some on since being here).

I assume the vet checked his teeth?

If he is on antibiotics (baytril) he should be having some probiotics too. If you are giving fibreplex now then that should help as it has them in.

I know some people say not to use it but our vets suggested we used a smear of Sudocreme (baby cream) on Sweeps skin when we had to wash his bot - try it off and just pop on a thin layer it creates a nice barrier against the poop.

Good luck.

Ironically, his teeth are good even though he doesn't eat hay:roll::roll: Some of my best hay eaters are dental buns:? He also likes the taste of Baytril and licks it off the syringe, and doesn't like panacur, with all my other buns it's the other way around, I think he's confused:lol:

Back