• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about new bunny - UPDATE ... bad news

spinnersue

Warren Scout
Yesterday we brought home Fred, a new mate for Merry who lost her mate about 4 wks ago. He was a little quiet but had lively spells in between, he spent most of the day in the run with her under supervision and then slept indoors in a carrier last night as we didn't want to risk any injuries.

He has been in and out of the run today and apart from a few minor scraps everything seemed ok. Tonight though, he became really quiet and just sat in the same spot in the run for hours. We brought him indoors and he has eaten and drunk a little but has just sat really quiet and still and my daughter says he has had brief spells of "vibrating" and we are a bit worried about him. Has anyone else experienced this with a bunny, particularly a new one? Is this normal behaviour bearing in mind that he had to endure a car journey and get used to a completely new home with new bunnies?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
The 'vibrating' sounds very much like he's in pain. Rabbits grind their teeth when they're in pain...some make a noise when they're doing it, but some don't and it just looks like they're vibrating.

I think a visit to the vet is needed, otherwise he might go into stasis.

Hi Jane, yes he has pooed today, though his poos are much smaller than our other buns but they are well formed and not runny or anything.

Right now he is having a drink of water out of his bowl (not sure if he has ever used a bottle), we have brought in Merry to see if he perks up.

Last edited:
It is obviously going to be hard for you to know what is 'normal' for him as he has only been with you for a day.

If he has definately eaten, poo'd and wee'd today then he may just be feeling very stressed. He really needs to be able to settle in one place for a few days, not keep going in and out, with another Rabbit then seperated again.

Personally I would allow him a few days to find his paws and start to feel at home before you attempt bonding him and moving him about from one place to another. Rabbits feel secure with a set routine and a familiar environment. He has neither at the moment and he is also having the stress of forming a new relationship with an unknown Bunny.

If you remain concerned this evening then I'd call your Vet's Out-of-Hours service for advice

Good luck

Ok thanks for your replies. The original plan was to try and bond him as quickly as possible with Merry and we had intended to leave him in with her from the start but then she started attacking him even in a neutral place so we brought him indoors for his own protection and then tried it in short bursts which seemed to be more successful but of course we don't want to stress him. The last time we bonded two bunnies we were lucky as they bonded almost immediately.

Fred is now lying stretched out with his two back legs behind him and looking relaxed and sleepy, I hope that is a good sign? We will let him stay indoors again tonight as he seemed quite happy last night but how long should we wait to start the bonding process again if he seems ok tomorrow?

How and where did you do the bonding? Did you put him in second? I would put two runs next to each other so they can see each other for about a week or so, see how that goes and then introduce them on neutral ground, your bathroom or a neighbours house? If that fails take them for a spin in the car, they will look to each for comfort as they will be scared.

Have they both been neutered?

Good luck :wave:

Hi, yes both are neutered. Unfortunately we only have one run, it is quite large with a covered bit at the end that can be made into a hutch. I scrubbed the run out and moved it away from its usual spot. I put him in first, then Merry, was that the wrong way round? Started off by leaving him in the carrier with door shut, Merry kept sniffing him and running around the carrier so we then opened the door and she got in with him. Everything was going fine until he ventured out of the carrier and went into the covered bit where i had put straw and newspaper and litter tray. Merry didn't like him in there and from then on started attacking him.

I must add that prior to this session they had a short introduction at his home yesterday and travelled home together for an hour, starting off in seperate carriers and then Merry wanted to get in his carrier and they were very affectionate to each other the rest of the way home so we thought the bonding was going to be easy and were not prepared for today.

I think you are expecting too much too soon.
He has had lots of stress from a car journey and a new environment to adjust to. Bonding in itself is extremely stressful for a Rabbit and personally I think you should allow him 2 or 3 days to relax.

Then when you attempt the bonding it must be done in 100% neutral territory, not in place your Doe is familiar with.

Good luck

Well Fred is a bit livelier today but seems to feel more secure in the small pet carrier that we brought him home in so we have left him in that indoors with the door open so he can venture out if he wants to. Have not attempted anymore "introductions" today as feel he is still very insecure in his new surroundings. He has not eaten any of the food that previous owner sent along for him but after gentle encouragement ate two small pieces of carrot and some hay and has had sips of water from his bowl. We are a bit worried as no poos today yet, though there were a few yesterday.

He seems quite happy in his own little world but should we be worried about his lack of exercise as he's only venturing a few steps outside the carrier? Also at what stage should we be worried about the lack of poos? He ate the carrot and hay about 3hrs ago so approx how long should that take to pass through?

...update

Since my last post we heard gurgling sounds coming from Fred's tummy and are worried about stasis so phoned the pdsa out of hours number. They took brief details and said a private vet practice covers weekends and we would be getting a phone call within 30 mins to assess whether or not he needs to be seen. That was an hour ago and we are still waiting. Fred has eaten a few blades of grass and a bit of hay and doesn't appear too uncomfortable at the moment but I wish they would hurry up and ring......

Right.....vet just rang. Asked a few questions and said no need to see Fred tonight as he has been eating and drinking but if still no poos in the morning then phone for appt and get gut mobility meds. She sounded very rabbit savvy and said that she is convinced it's the car journey and move to new home that has just stressed him out a bit and it should settle ok. Since the phone call he has eaten some more hay and drunk a bit and has been quite lively exploring the living room. We are feeling much happier now.

Last edited:
Hi there,

One of my boys Barney is a very sensitive lad and when he came to live with us he got quite stressed and had the same problems that your bun is having now.

He was a little worse in that he wouldn't eat or drink anything. I was very concerned so we went to the vet and he had a gut stimulant and within half an hour had eaten half a cucumber!

Your bun will be fine, I know how worrying it is though. Even if you think he's improved still take him to the vet for a full health check though.

Good luck and cuddles to your bun!

Took Fred to the vet this morning, had nearly a 2hr wait which obviously didn't help his stressed condition.

Saw a very nice vet though who examined him thoroughly and agreed that this is all caused by the stress of moving home. She said his tummy feels ok and is hopeful that the medication should work. He had metacam, baytril and oneother injection and we came away with liquid antibiotic, a recovery pack of mushy food and pre-biotic. Since we got home he has eaten a little bit more hay and had a drink of water.

We were also advised to give him pineapple juice.......what is the bestway to give him this please? Do i have to dilute it first with water? I forgotto ask the vet.

As Fred has been quite lively over the past 24hrs I am feeling quite hopeful for him, I hope he recovers from this episode. We are keeping him indoors for the time being which the vet said was good. His new mate has come into see him a couple of times which seems to brighten him up so we will continue with that.

Getting a bit downhearted now.....Fred has retreated back into his carrier and just sitting there. He was livelier earlier, did eat some dandelion leaves and a bit more hay and a good drink of water, but still no sign of even a single poo....:cry:.how long do the injections normally take to work? Tried to tempt him with the rescue mush but not interested and I didn't want to stress him even more by forcing it in though I probably would have done if he had not eaten anything. On reading some of the older threads on here it appears that the pineapple juice might not be a good idea if he is in stasis. The vet didn't think he had a blockage but he has been moulting a lot so I do wonder whether this might be a possibility? We were told to take him back on Thurs if no better but is that soon enough?

I would really be grateful for any advice you could give me as to what else I can do for him.

Late last night Fred became very active and was eating and drinking a fair bit. He had a good night but then this morning was not interested in food or drink again. He seemed to be getting weaker and became quite floppy, I syringed in as much water to him as I could then phoned the PDSA again who told me to take him back. We had quite a long wait (I asked if he could be seen quickly but they said I would have to wait my turn.....its like they don't understand the urgency regarding rabbits at that place). Anyway eventually got to see the same vet as yesterday, she didn't examine him again but said they would admit him and treat him for the stasis first and then prob give him a GA and give him a dental as his teeth were quite long she noticed yesterday. I don't feel very hopeful as even if he gets through the stasis I know the risks of him having a GA are high, he is 5yrs old. We are both feeling upset and helpless.

Last edited:
Late last night Fred became very active and was eating and drinking a fair bit. He had a good night but then this morning was not interested in food or drink again. He seemed to be getting weaker and became quite floppy, I syringed in as much water to him as I could then phoned the PDSA again who told me to take him back. We had quite a long wait (I asked if he could be seen quickly but they said I would have to wait my turn.....its like they don't understand the urgency regarding rabbits at that place). Anyway eventually got to see the same vet as yesterday, she didn't examine him again but said they would admit him and treat him for the statis first and then prob give him a GA and give him a dental as his teeth were quite long she noticed yesterday. I don't feel very hopeful as even if he gets through the statis I know the risks of him having a GA are high, he is 5yrs old. We are both feeling upset and helpless.

Oh dear, poor Fred :( I do hope he pulls through the GA ok, sending lots of get well vibes for him :)

I phoned the hospital at 5pm as advised and at that time Fred was still holding his own. They did not put him on a drip which I thought they would but are syringe feeding him with food and liquids. They said if he is better tomorrow they will do his teeth.

It's awful not knowing if he's still alive or not, we can't even ring to find out until 10am tomorrow and if anything happens to him in the meantime we won't know as they don't ring you to tell you. Last time I phoned I found out that my previous rabbit had died a good 4 hrs before I rang. How I wish I could have taken him to the private vet I used to use but I have no choice now but to use the PDSA. I am grateful for what they are doing for him but the not knowing is torture.:cry:

Back