View Full Version : A Tough Decision (Milo/Eddison)

18-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I haven't posted in awhile, mostly because I've felt horribly guilty about what's been going on with my rabbits. As a refresher, I have two boy rabbits (by accident, by the way. Mimi turned out to be a Milo.) and they had a falling out, and I was trying to rebond.

I have been keeping them in cages next to one another, and Eddison is worse than ever. Milo tried to groom Eddison throw the cage, and Eddison just batted Milo on the nose. :cry: They lay next to each other on opposite sides of the cage walls. But then things like that happen, and I am absolutely gutted.

I have decided I really cannot keep both, as it is best for all of us. Eddison's appetite has gone down, he's more fearful than ever, and has even started lunging and nipping me, which he had never done before. He would need me to work with him rather intensely to get him out of this aggression, although he was always a very skittish rabbit.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not experienced enough yet to really manage his personality. I hate to think that he'll always be a distrustful rabbit, but I honestly have tried my best to break him. I made almost every encounter with him positive. We've played with toys, he's eaten carrot from my hands, and I just lie still and let him play on top of me. But all that work has gone backwards.

I love him to death, but right now, I don't think I can dedicate the time he needs. I am taking two classes at college, and I have a full time job. I leave home at 8am and get back at 8pm, and then I have to give both rabbits separate run around time. Milo spends it near me, binkying and playing his new game "Is what you have in your hand a treat for Milo? I'll follow you until I find out!" Meanwhile, Eddison hides in my bedroom closet behind a rather large mirror, where he flops out and relaxes.

I have decided I need to rehome Eddison, as neither of them are happy. It just absolutely devastates me, because he is a very timid bunny, and I know he must've been through a lot before he came to me to be so scared of all noises and all humans.

I really want to find someone who can dedicate the time he needs. There are only two rescues within 50 miles of me, and the closest one I don't trust. Do you think I could ask them to post him on their site and keep him until they find someone interested? I don't want to post on a freecycle, because I want someone interested in rescuing a rabbit, not buying one for novelty.

Also, should I separate them in the meantime? Would they be more stressed knowing there's another rabbit in the house somewhere, or would they be worse off as they are now?

Sorry for the long post, but I've tried to figure out 100% what I needed to do, and make sure I had exhausted all options. I really hope I'm doing the right thing by both of them. :cry:

18-07-2009, 05:06 PM
im sorry the new territory didnt work out :(:(

19-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm sorry I have no advice. I believe you are doing the right thing by not posting him on 'Freecycle' or taking him to a rescue that you don't trust. I am so sorry that you have to give up your bunny. :cry: You must be devastated.

19-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out, don't feel responsible though, you have tried everything, plus you thought he was a she. A lot of people wouldn't have even bothered trying to get a friend for their bun. But there are people here who have bonded boy and boy, wait until they can feedback til u give up :D

19-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry to bump, but I just need to know if I should separate them until I find Eddison a new home. :(

19-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh what an awful decision to have to make:cry:

It does sound like you're doing the right thing for Eddison though, it sounds like he needs more attention than you can give. I would definitely try and get him featured on a rescue website (I don't see why they'd object, I'm assuming you're happy to carry out home checks and follow-up visits) and keep him with you until he finds a new home, as that's got to be better than packing him off to a strange environment for an unknown period of time before he finds a new home?

As for keeping them together, from your post it seems that things are getting worse between them, and that Eddison is becoming more aggressive towards Milo rather than becoming used to him, so if you've definitely made up your mind I would separate them and hope that they find that less stressful than being together.

Whatever you decide good luck, must be so hard but it sounds like you're doing the right thing:)