• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant rabbits

Kepling

Young Bun
Hi guys
The rabbits have been together for about 24hrs now and have been huddled together cleaning each other but trig is neutered and has been for 3 weeks

This morning i got up to the pair of them digging a hole and every 2mins or so Taegen would sit in it as if she was making it big enough for her to sit in when i filled it she went to the supply of fresh hay and carried it in her mouth up to the hutch after about 10-20mins of her doing this i clicked that she may be nesting and put more hay and uncoloured newspaper stuff in the hutch and for the past hour its been non stop shes been ripping up the paper and taking the hay up to hutch, is there any almost definite signs of a pregnant rabbit? is there such thing as phantom rabbit pregnancy? dogs and cats nest just before the birth, is it the same with rabbits? ive only has her 3 1/2 weeks (about 25 days) so is it possible shes about to have the babies if there is any/? also would she nest with cat hair? (ive just groomed the cats and have heaps about to get binned)
Or is it possible shes just making a bed for herself cause shes cold?
Or is Trigger still fertile?
Sorry for the 20Q's im just horrified at the fact she could be pregnant at 6 1/2 mos!

i would think there is a big chance that she is.

Once you have had males done you need to keep them away from females for 6 weeks as there is still a chance of him making a female pregnant.

but he has only been with her 24hrs so more likely she was already pregnant - rabbits tend to nest just before popping the babies out, not immediatley after mating... or it is a phantom.
I would say no to cat hair... :)

Thanks for responses!

I've been keeping my eye on her and she went up to trigger and it looked like she was about to bite him but instead she just ripped a bit of fur out then took it to the hutch

I had a look at the nest and there hay/grass/paper/shavings/fur(most likely triggers)

Her previous owner said that she had a habit of going into the neighbours garden and they had rabbits too but never said if they had unneutered bucks, but she said about 1 week before i got her (roughly 5-6days) she got out and was gone for hours before they noticed

D: This is awful, she's young and has only just been bonded again!

I think if she is nesting now, then it could be that she is pregnant from her previous home.

Alternatively, it could be with all the change it has triggered a phantom, esp. putting her near/in with a male. This is what happened to Autumn when I put her with Charlie.

Trigger may still be the daddy, although she wouldn't be nessting for his babies, but could be having a phantom now, then have babies later. Male rabbits tand to be fertile for 3-4 weeks after their op, although it is recommended that the male is seperate for 6 weeks just in case, as there have been cases of babies on the cusp of 4 weeks.

I think in any of the cases, just make sure she has plenty of bedding and food, and read up on pregnant rabbits. Keep your buns seperate for now, then have her neuter in about 6 weeks time.

Not only does having the female neutered stop her having babies, it reduces the chance of phantoms, getting moody with her cuddlebun and, most importantly, reduces the chance of her getting cancer in later stages of her life.

Hi guys
The rabbits have been together for about 24hrs now and have been huddled together cleaning each other but trig is neutered and has been for 3 weeks

This morning i got up to the pair of them digging a hole and every 2mins or so Taegen would sit in it as if she was making it big enough for her to sit in when i filled it she went to the supply of fresh hay and carried it in her mouth up to the hutch after about 10-20mins of her doing this i clicked that she may be nesting and put more hay and uncoloured newspaper stuff in the hutch and for the past hour its been non stop shes been ripping up the paper and taking the hay up to hutch, is there any almost definite signs of a pregnant rabbit? is there such thing as phantom rabbit pregnancy? dogs and cats nest just before the birth, is it the same with rabbits? ive only has her 3 1/2 weeks (about 25 days) so is it possible shes about to have the babies if there is any/? also would she nest with cat hair? (ive just groomed the cats and have heaps about to get binned)
Or is it possible shes just making a bed for herself cause shes cold?
Or is Trigger still fertile?
Sorry for the 20Q's im just horrified at the fact she could be pregnant at 6 1/2 mos!

Hi, I agree with the others. Tigger could still be fetile but if they have only been together for 24 hrs then it is unlikely that he is the father. I have had two litters and the mother made the nest just hours before she gave birth. She is either pregnant from another male (ie previous home) or due to being put with a male, having a phatom pregnancy (my doe did this too when she was put back with a male).

If she is pregnant, there isn't too much you can do, just ensure she has lots of hay, water and food and she will 'get on with it' (but of course do keep checking her just in case there are any problems etc). When/If the babies are born, again the mother should look after them and do everything that is needed - just check they have rounded bellies.

If she hasn't had any babies with the next week or two, I would def get her booked into the vets for a spay.

Thanks guys

Yesterday she spent the whole day nesting but nothing happened, i dont think she drank or ate, she has a huge bald spot where she sat and ripped out her hair for the nest. She sat with her face to the wall and hyperventilating as if she was in labour.

Today she seems livelier and shes eaten/drank, i never knew they could make nests weeks in advance!.

On another note, my friends 5mo old rabbit just gave birth to 7 kits on the 17th
I am absolutely disgusted.
She would have had to been 4mo old when she got pregnant.

Don't give her any cat hair, she might be scared of the smell. Her own fur, hay, straw and newspaper should be enough, especially as it isn't very cold at the moment.

Yesterday she spent the whole day nesting but nothing happened, i dont think she drank or ate, she has a huge bald spot where she sat and ripped out her hair for the nest. She sat with her face to the wall and hyperventilating as if she was in labour.

keep us updated x

Hi guys,

I have been checking on Taegen hourly and so far nothing.
She hasnt eaten or drank anything since 11am and she is no longer sitting in her nest.
she has eaten about 15grm and drank about 30ml in the past 36hrs, Im so worried! ive changed her water 3 times today to make sure its fresh and just 5mins ago i put some sugar in it (the vet said its a good way for small animals to put on weight when theyre not eating much) shes alot more docile but wont let me touch anywhere near her bum/stomach, shes not amused with me touching her head but will put up with it, This is not like her at all!

tomorrow shes 7mos =D

Does it sound like the time is near or a phantom?

Nope, not yet, shes eaten though and had a bit of water, and she is still not sitting in the nest, i cant feel any kits anymore either, before i could feel 2.

Great news everone, Shes not pregnant! unfortunatly she had a phantom :( but atleast theres not babies ><

Back