• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beware of Nails in Hutches.

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
Some of our rabbits are in indoor hutches and some of them have a habit of nibbling the inside of the hutch just beware if you have a rabbit/rabbits that do the same as there are nails in the inside of the doors and I have now noticed that in Jamie's hutch one of the nails is dangerously sticking out. So just check from time to time if like me you have 'hutch destroyer buns'.

This is a Pets@Home hutch.
18-7-09008.jpg

I took this photo of the inside of the top door. Although my buns have nibbled the door the nail head is just starting to show.
18-7-09009.jpg

This is Jamies hutch and it's a 'Lazybones' make
18-7-09007.jpg

I was shocked to see the nail is well sticking out now due to her nibbling away at the wood.
18-7-09006-1.jpg

I am aware that hutches do have nails in them to keep them together and I am no way saying these makes of hutches are not good (else I wouldn't have bought them), I just want people to be aware that nails can stick out and become a danger to the rabbit/rabbits.

Another thing you need to aware of is that when you are repairing anything made of wood that has beep put together wit nails is that when you are pulling the nails out it is very easy to split the wood. If you manage to get the nails out without breaking the good wood when replacing the bad use screws. Pre drill before fixing as well to avoid the new wood from splitting. That way if the same happens again it will be allot easier to replace the bad wood.:)

Agreed

Some of our rabbits are in indoor hutches and some of them have a habit of nibbling the inside of the hutch just beware if you have a rabbit/rabbits that do the same as there are nails in the inside of the doors and I have now noticed that in Jamie's hutch one of the nails is dangerously sticking out. So just check from time to time if like me you have 'hutch destroyer buns'.

This is a Pets@Home hutch.
18-7-09008.jpg

I took this photo of the inside of the top door. Although my buns have nibbled the door the nail head is just starting to show.
18-7-09009.jpg

This is Jamies hutch and it's a 'Lazybones' make
18-7-09007.jpg

I was shocked to see the nail is well sticking out now due to her nibbling away at the wood.
18-7-09006-1.jpg

I am aware that hutches do have nails in them to keep them together and I am no way saying these makes of hutches are not good (else I wouldn't have bought them), I just want people to be aware that nails can stick out and become a danger to the rabbit/rabbits.

I have the 'Lazybones' make... screws holding the wire in on the bottom doors are apearing on mine after chewing-athon

Back