• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilema U/D going to ask him

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I am having a bit of a dilema, here goes. Next door to us have two rabbits basically their daughter got them then moved out to a flat so couldn't take them:roll: anyway everyday they just sit in their hutch, now these rabbits are not neglected in anyway they are both very well cared for and my neighbours are just the nicest family in the world. The daughter keeps saying give them to wood green because her parents was never expecting to have them full time. The dad say's he just doesn't want to do that. I know one is not very friendly obviously hasn't been handled very much or neutered and the other is fine. Here is my dilemma my husband thinks he would quite happily let me have them, they come with hutch etc and all their bits and I can easily afford to keep them but do I want two more rabbits:? seeing their faces everyday just sitting there just breaks my heart we both have over 100 foot gardens mine have free range and has rabbit fencing all over so they cannot escape and I spend all my money on my house and garden so they are both nice, his however is just a garden to them and there is no fencing so they have no time out of the hutch. I just don't know if I want two more buns I had originally wanted a lionhead to bond with Barney when he has been neutered. Do I just get them or shall I stick to my original plan of 1 more rabbit to bond with Barney?

Last edited:
Is it possible to bond the two with Barney to make a trio?

Alternatively can you find a second hand decent sized run and offer it to them? Maybe one that can attach to their hutch or offer to help them attach it so that they can go in and out all the time as they please?

How about if you talk to your neighbour and tell him about the forum and rabbitrehome and ask if he doesn't really want to keep them ask if he minds you advertising them for adoption on here? You could always foster them at yours aswell until they find a new home?

I am having a bit of a dilema, here goes. Next door to us have two rabbits basically their daughter got them then moved out to a flat so couldn't take them:roll: anyway everyday they just sit in their hutch, now these rabbits are not neglected in anyway they are both very well cared for and my neighbours are just the nicest family in the world. The daughter keeps saying give them to wood green because her parents was never expecting to have them full time. The dad say's he just doesn't want to do that. I know one is not very friendly obviously hasn't been handled very much or neutered and the other is fine. Here is my dilemma my husband thinks he would quite happily let me have them, they come with hutch etc and all their bits and I can easily afford to keep them but do I want two more rabbits:? seeing their faces everyday just sitting there just breaks my heart we both have over 100 foot gardens mine have free range and has rabbit fencing all over so they cannot escape and I spend all my money on my house and garden so they are both nice, his however is just a garden to them and there is no fencing so they have no time out of the hutch. I just don't know if I want two more buns I had originally wanted a lionhead to bond with Barney when he has been neutered. Do I just get them or shall I stick to my original plan of 1 more rabbit to bond with Barney?

Wood Green has a horrendously long waiting list so I doubt very much that they would be taken for a good while as they are being cared for well (I would imagine a good year). Could you get them neutered (maybe ask to family to contribute) and bond them with yours?

I agree about bonding the two with Barney that way they would all have one set of accommodation or just take one but how would you choose if they are not bonded.

Personally I would take them....

I never intended on having the rabbits I have now, but if I thought I could give a rabbit a better life than the one they were having I would take it.

There's lots of breeds I really want, but I wouldn't let that put me off helping rabbits have a better life.

If you have the space and can afford them I would take them. If anything you could give them more than what they have at the moment and then perhaps try and rehome them if you felt you couldn't cope.

Lionheads are fab little rabbits, but I really wish people would stop breeding them to be honest. They are rabbits that are bred to be aesthetically pleasing to us humans, yet their coat is a nightmare for them. I say this as I have just had to have all three of mine clipped which I do on a regular basis. If people want to keep lionheads (I'm talking about the pure bred lionheads with double manes) then ideally they should be house rabbits as their coats are not designed for running around gardens. They need just as much grooming as long haired dogs :)

i think the buying them a cheap run would be the best solution, you cant take animals if in any way it feels wrong and i think the fact youve posted asking for advice means deep down your instincts are telling you to steer well clear... if you saw them bouncing about a run in thier own garden i think you would feel less guilt without having to take them on too :D

Thanks everyone for your advice:D I am still unsure as what to do for the best. Although I can easily afford to take more on I never really planned on another two. I think I will have a sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning. My neighbours really are just the nicest people in the world and he is out there every morning fussing the one that isn't aggressive it is more the other one I feel sorry for as he doesn't get as much fuss because of his aggression :cry: if they had a run so they could go out everyday then I would be much happier but I don't think it will happen, and I just hate seeing them sit there day in day out:cry:

Well, I have come to a decision, as I can easily afford to take them on I think it will be wrong of me not to. Providing he say's yes that is:lol: although I noticed his daughter unloading alot of things out of the car back into the house so I think her and her boyfriend might of moved back in but im just guessing. The pleasure I would get from letting them have free range in my garden and getting them neutered or spayed depending on the sex(I think they are one of each) would be immense. Fingers crossed he will say yes wish me luck xx

Awwww good for you :D

They might well bond with Barney then you could have a nice group of 3!

Awwh good on ya Sally :) I hope all goes well! xXx

thanks hun, I have just seen them all go out daughter included so im not sure if they have moved back in or not. I will have to time it right and hope they say yes. I am excited now:D

Well, I have come to a decision, as I can easily afford to take them on I think it will be wrong of me not to. Providing he say's yes that is:lol: although I noticed his daughter unloading alot of things out of the car back into the house so I think her and her boyfriend might of moved back in but im just guessing. The pleasure I would get from letting them have free range in my garden and getting them neutered or spayed depending on the sex(I think they are one of each) would be immense. Fingers crossed he will say yes wish me luck xx

:thumb: Excellent!

Back