• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with aviaries, dog kennels, walk in runs...

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
.... how do you stop some bun making a run for freedom when you open the door? :?

Almost every time I open the aviary door to go in, Alfie and Bubbles sneak off behind me and out the door before I can get my fat butt inside and shut the door. :oops: :roll: :lol:

I don't know if it matters but I'm having my run built with it hinged to open inwards. I'm hoping that will help. Put your hands down ready to shoo them back in before they try to escape. lol

Ha Ha! Its a problem isn't it!

Personally I give a treat through the wire, then sneak in opening the door a crack and filling the hole with my ample body while they're busy noming! They give my husband the run around though :lol:

I have a piece of mesh attatched to the inside of the door on a couple of hooks. I just step over it and it is easy to remove when I let them out. I got it from Wickes, it is just a rectangle about 1 metre by 1/2 metre. Stops my monsters!

My door is a stable style, but the bottom is only about 1 and a half foot high, so just climb over top bit!! :lol:

My two have gotten really good at staying where they are until they can come out.

My kennel is in a part of the patio that is fully secured by a wall so even if they make a run for it, they can go no where. They only can get in the garden if I open the gate :) x

I Have A Mesh Panel About A Foot High In The Doorway ... They Can Still Jump It But It Slows Them Down Enough So I Can Keep Them In If I Need To ..;)

I fixed the door panels in my aviary upside down so that there's a step of about 1ft. None of mine have tried to jump over...yet.

Thank you all. :)

I've tried shooing them away and distracting them with food but they're not as dumb as they look. :roll::lol: If I've got pellets they always come straight back in but I'm dreading the morning when they decide they want to stay out and I'm chasing them round the garden in my nightie. :oops:

When they were in their hutch/run they used to hide from me so I didn't foresee this happening and now they can't stay away from me. :lol::lol: I think some kind of removable panel across the bottom may be the way to go. I have a very old, small run at the bottom of the garden so I might be able to just take a panel from that to use.

Gypsy is very good. She pootles out but goes back in when I clap at her. The patio it's on is semi enclosed by a low wall though so she doesn't go too far.

I'd like to pop Scamp out there with her but he would jump anything under 3' (which is a bit high to step over) so a barrier across the door is no good and then jump the wall. I think I'd need some sort of double door system.

I have a big step down into one of my doors, which opens inwards, Chunky occasionally tries to sneak out (More so when my OH is going to see them :lol: ) And then I only ever open the outside door when it's feeding time or garden time :roll:

ahhh yes - many a time have I been running around the garden in my jimmy jammies shooing one or two of them in. Usually Sally or Penny Pocket. It's even worse if it's raining! :roll:

Karen, I have the same problem too with an outward opening door to their shed. They hear me coming in the morning and are lined up ready to skip out past me if they can. Soozy, my pocket rocket Nethie is the worst and she is soooo quick:shock: On a couple of occasions she has got out past me without my even noticing and it's only once I am inside having securely shut the door behind me, watching them all devour their breakfast when I relaise one is missing. I look out through the window to see her happily hopping around the putside of the shed and giving me heartfailure. :shock:

Thankfully, to date, she has come back inside at the lure of food but I know that one morning she will be off, romping around the garden and I won't have a prayer of catching her :?

I'm thinking a small panel at the bottom of the doorway that I can step over would be a good move before it's too late!

It's funny, but when I actually let them out to play they sometimes take a couple of minutes to come out. Once, Alfie was in the aviary for a good 5 mins after Bubbles had come out because he just hadn't realised I'd opened the door. :roll: :lol: But when I don't want them to come out, they're both there at the door waiting. Or one of them hides in the tunnel and darts out as the door opens. :shock:

I haven't got round to making a little step-over barrier yet (or should I say dh hasn't done it) but it's definitely on my to do list. They made a run for it the other morning and scared the life out of my poor cat. :lol::lol:

All Forsham biosecure runs and Quicksafe runs (aviary styles) have a 1ft step over and inward opening gates.

I find this (plus knowing they are about to have greens delivered INSIDE the run) - helps stop them!.

Back