• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet visits for bonded bunnies

Gianetta

Young Bun
I've recently introduced my bun to a gentleman friend and they're getting on well. I'll need to take the new boy to the vets for his jabs in a week or so (when he's had chance to settle down) - should I take his girlfriend with me when I go? I've read that you shouldn't separate bonded rabbits even for a short time.

Absolutely right - pop them in the carrier together and take them together. Will actually help to strengthen their bond :)

my pair have been bonded for well over a year now, thier bond seems strong enough to be separated for a day...

i have routine stuff like jabs at the same time but in an emergency or for an op i leave one of them at home, i think a vets visit when they are not actually poorly is far to stressful than sitting at home waiting for the loved one to come home.

on a new bond i would keep them together tho just incase its not strong enough yet :D

I always take both rabbits when I go to the vets. I think it's stressful enough for the sick rabbit to go to the vets. If they are used to being with another rabbit I reckon they take a bit of comfort from having the company in the pet carrier.

You could have a chat with your vets about getting your vaccinations in sync. When I got my new rabbit my original rabbit wasn't due for his vaccinations but we did them at the same time which was about a month early for him. Now it's much easier as they always get done at the same time.

For jabs and stuff like that I used to but think that they are strong enough to really go on there own.
My vets wouldn't allow Ghostie to stay with Pickle while he was having his dental (These two have the strongest bond) as they wanted to monitor Pickle.

Thanks for the advice. I shall take them both together the first time as I've noticed Caddy's VHD jab is due this month anyway.

Back