• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wont eat veg .. Why ??

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
One of my rabs is really fussy eat with his veg - typical man !

I give them each a handfull of veg a day, usually carrot broccolli and apple. This is usually a challenge, Florrie loves it and scoffs it all at once, when she is done tho she hunts Boris down to steal his. This is when the fun starts, I have to wait untill they are seperated then feed them their veg and try to keep Florrie away from Boris. Now the problem is that he takes that long to eat it im not having that much look. He usually rubs his chin on it a bit them maybe a nibble, somedays he will eat it all if you leave him alone with it long enough and somedays he just sits their giving it dirty looks, like last night he was looking at me like "whats this rubbish you have given me" reminds me of my OH. Anyways is it normal for a bun not to love his veg and is it ok for him to have a day where he isnt eating it. He eats pellets treats and lots of hay every day no probs just seems to be fussy with the veg. Just worried that he is missing out on vital nutirients tho. BTW he is a grump to begin with cant you tell he is my OH bun and not mine !!!

Have you tried Boris with other types of veg? Mine absolutely go mad for curly kale and spring greens, but arent so bothered by broccoli. They also like gem lettuce and baby sweetcorn (although they only get sweetcorn when I am trying to get their Panacur down them, as it is the only way they will take it!). Might be worth trying different veg until you find something he likes.

sounds to me you have the same problem i have with my bun YOSHI he is a very pampered bunny and a wee bit spoilt... fresh grass hay pellets treats etc.... fruit and veg strawberry tops, apple, brocoli, spring greens, carrot, grapes [split in half] etc etc... now he will pick and choose what he wants.. so we vary it as much as possible... ie give him veg one week fruit the next still with grass pellets hay etc oh and his favorite a spoonful of oats for breatfast. we stop the treats so much now and give him his veg/fruit as a treat. :p

what does BTW mean and never tried spinich will give that a go :)

why not to many carrots???:shock:

Sorry BTW = by the way

Carrots are aphosphorous rich veg, and full of natural sugar (which is why bunnies love them)

GREENFOOD IDEAS:
WHAT’S GOOD TO FEED
This list isn’t exhaustive
VEGETABLES:
ASPARAGUS
BABY SWEETCORN
BEETROOT (not the leafy
tops)
BROCCOLI
BRUSSEL SPROUTS
CABBAGE
CARROTS AND TOPS –NOT MANY, CARROTS ARE HIGH IN SUGARS
CAULIFLOWER
CELERIAC
CELERY
CHICORY
COURGETTE
CUCUMBER
CURLY KALE
FENNEL
GREEN BEANS
PARSNIP
PEAS (inc. leaves & pods)
PEPPERS
PUMPKIN, SWEDE, TURNIP
& SQUASH
RADISH TOPS
ROCKET
ROMAINE LETTUCE (NOT
ICEBERG OR OTHER LIGHT
COLOURED LEAVED
VARIETIES)
SPINACH
SPRING GREENS
WATERCRESS
HERBS (POWERFULTASTES MAY TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO!)
BASIL
CORIANDER
DILL
MINT
PARSLEY
OREGANO
ROSEMARY

FRUITS (max 2 tablespoons per day)
APPLE
APRICOT
BANANA
BLACKBERRIES (inc. leaves)
BLUEBERRIES
CHERRIES
GRAPES
KIWI FRUIT
MANGO
MELON
NECTARINES
ORANGES (not the peel)
PAPAYA
PEACHES
PEARS
PINEAPPLE
PLUMS
RASPBERRIES (inc. leaves)
STRAWBERRIES (inc.
leaves)
TOMATOES (not the leaves)
WILD GARDEN
HERBS/WEEDS/FLOWERS:
BORAGE
CALENDULA
CAMOMILE
CHICKWEED
(ASTRINGENT)
CLOVER (leaves and flowers)
COLTSFOOT
COMFREY
DANDELION (DIURETIC
PROPERTIES)
GOOSEGRASS (CLEAVERS) but may stick to coat!
LAVENDER
MALLOW
NETTLE
NASTURTIUM (LEAVES
AND FLOWERS)
SHEPHERD’S PURSE
SOW THISTLE
PLANTAIN
YARROW

http://www.rabbitwelfarefund.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf
in link and above is list of veg and fruits that can be fed as you can see they also do not recommend too many carrots (the root bit not the tops).

http://www.rabbitwelfarefund.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

Last edited:
wow.... thats ideal thanks... i just tried to offer yoshi pear but he wasn't interested...i might try a bit of orange later. Thanks:wave:

wow.... thats ideal thanks... i just tried to offer yoshi pear but he wasn't interested...i might try a bit of orange later. Thanks:wave:

No probs :wave: the RWAF has some fab leaflets on all sorts of things.

Biscuit turns her nose up at most things, but will sniff out a banana a mile away :roll:

Sorry BTW = by the way

Carrots are aphosphorous rich veg, and full of natural sugar (which is why bunnies love them)

GREENFOOD IDEAS:
WHAT’S GOOD TO FEED
This list isn’t exhaustive
VEGETABLES:
ASPARAGUS
BABY SWEETCORN
BEETROOT (not the leafy
tops)
BROCCOLI
BRUSSEL SPROUTS
CABBAGE
CARROTS AND TOPS –NOT MANY, CARROTS ARE HIGH IN SUGARS
CAULIFLOWER
CELERIAC
CELERY
CHICORY
COURGETTE
CUCUMBER
CURLY KALE
FENNEL
GREEN BEANS
PARSNIP
PEAS (inc. leaves & pods)
PEPPERS
PUMPKIN, SWEDE, TURNIP
& SQUASH
RADISH TOPS
ROCKET
ROMAINE LETTUCE (NOT
ICEBERG OR OTHER LIGHT
COLOURED LEAVED
VARIETIES)
SPINACH
SPRING GREENS
WATERCRESS
HERBS (POWERFULTASTES MAY TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO!)
BASIL
CORIANDER
DILL
MINT
PARSLEY
OREGANO
ROSEMARY

FRUITS (max 2 tablespoons per day)
APPLE
APRICOT
BANANA
BLACKBERRIES (inc. leaves)
BLUEBERRIES
CHERRIES
GRAPES
KIWI FRUIT
MANGO
MELON
NECTARINES
ORANGES (not the peel)
PAPAYA
PEACHES
PEARS
PINEAPPLE
PLUMS
RASPBERRIES (inc. leaves)
STRAWBERRIES (inc.
leaves)
TOMATOES (not the leaves)
WILD GARDEN
HERBS/WEEDS/FLOWERS:
BORAGE
CALENDULA
CAMOMILE
CHICKWEED
(ASTRINGENT)
CLOVER (leaves and flowers)
COLTSFOOT
COMFREY
DANDELION (DIURETIC
PROPERTIES)
GOOSEGRASS (CLEAVERS) but may stick to coat!
LAVENDER
MALLOW
NETTLE
NASTURTIUM (LEAVES
AND FLOWERS)
SHEPHERD’S PURSE
SOW THISTLE
PLANTAIN
YARROW

http://www.rabbitwelfarefund.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf
in link and above is list of veg and fruits that can be fed as you can see they also do not recommend too many carrots (the root bit not the tops).

http://www.rabbitwelfarefund.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

What an awesome list you've given i have saved this to my desktop! :wave:

Thanks for your help guys, been out doing a bunny shop, got a basil and parsley plants, courgette and some pea pods, tried him on the basil as it has such a strong smell, he loves it, so fingers crossed when I try break him into the others he may like some more. Of course Florrie just eat the basil no problems, sure that one will eat anything !

Back