• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does ...

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Pootle keep eating the scab that Pickle has on the back of his neck? It is never gonna heal at this rate!!!

I have put some Sudocream on it hoping she wont go near it now.. do bunnies like the taste of Sudocream LOL?

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

You could try something bitter tasting around the edge of the scab - one of those bitter sprays you can get from the petshop to stop dogs chewing?

He is chewing the scab because he knows it shouldn't be there and is trying to make him ok in his own little way.

I personally wouldn't suggest putting anything on it because it can encourage them to groom it even more.

I had to separate a pair of mine when this happened. I swapped their cages, bowls, toys, etc, daily, and they had supervised play together. It took about a month for the scab to heal because I kept hoping the other bunny would stop grooming, so i would say it might be worth separating, and sooner rather than later to minimise the healing time.

He is chewing the scab because he knows it shouldn't be there and is trying to make him ok in his own little way.

I personally wouldn't suggest putting anything on it because it can encourage them to groom it even more.

I had to separate a pair of mine when this happened. I swapped their cages, bowls, toys, etc, daily, and they had supervised play together. It took about a month for the scab to heal because I kept hoping the other bunny would stop grooming, so i would say it might be worth separating, and sooner rather than later to minimise the healing time.

They are separated at the moment, and have playtimes, and everytime Pootle tries to lick him I push her away, but then he gets annoyed and charges at her :roll: Unfortunately, last night I didnt stop her quick enough and she had the scab off in seconds!

Maybe leave the supervised play for now. How are they at mealtimes? that can be a good time to have them together because they have their mouths full of food, not of each other.

Back