• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question - 10 week old babies?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
My aunt visited today, she mentioned a while ago about her friend buying two lionhead rabbits. I told her about rescues and she passed on the details but the woman wasnt interested.

Her friend has asked her to ask me if 10week old buns can get pregnant? As she has been sold a male and female and they have been mounting each other?

Am i right in thinking yes? I told her to separate straight away and she is going to get the male neutered but says she has to wait until 4months. I told her to get the female spayed too :roll:

You are right to say yes... but in theory it would be unlikely to happen. Males tend to be fertile before females, so although he may be able to reproduce it's 'unlikely' she would actually be impregnanted. Although it's rare, it can happen, so I would always split them up at ten weeks old. They actually start mounting quite a lot earlier than this as it's also a dominance issue.

I think it is 14 weeks when they need to be seperated and I believe 20 weeks is a good time to spay/neuter. Re spaying on a young bun there is no fat around the organs so I have been told that the vet finds it easier.

Rabswood

Quite a few vets like to spay at 6 months as the uterus can be extremely fiberous if younger. I witnessed a spay on a female who had just turned 6 months and her uterus was tiny and 'fell apart' very easily :shock:

Phew, well sort of, just hope she listens to the advice.

Glad i told her to separate, least no bun will be hurt or pestered!! :D

Quite a few vets like to spay at 6 months as the uterus can be extremely fiberous if younger.

This is what my vet said. She made me wait even longer with my mini rex as aparently smaller breeds are even worse.

Back