• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Still pooing problem....at my wits end

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Earl still keeps pooing on the huge rug in the living room and occasionally on the sofa- i dont get it

he is toilet trained- he uses he toilet when in his cage with NO problems, he dont poo on the laminate at all- so why my lovely long S-hag rug and sofa????

he surely is settled by now

shall i spray the mat with febreeze or will that make it worse? i have started to put his toilet on the matt tonight to see if it will work- please help!!!!

telling him no and putting him on the toilet is not working- he knows what he is doing is wrong because as soon as he has done it and i move towards him - he runs into the cage and sits on the toilet like hes saying ''ill save you the job''

please help...............

Last edited:
He is just marking his territory...give him more time it may settle down, although some buns will never be fully trained for poos. At least he is weeing in the tray

He is just marking his territory...give him more time it may settle down, although some buns will never be fully trained for poos. At least he is weeing in the tray

i know he is trained though he is very selectve about where he chooses to poo! ill give him another week before i tape up his bum with a plaster when he is out of his cage.

....that was a joke

Yeah I agree. Why are you so bothered? Poos don't leave a mark or even residue

because we just decorated and they are everywhere - im contantly following him round picking them up

i wouldnt mind so much if he genuinley wasnt trained but he is and he is choosing to do this- i have put his toilet on the matt is seems to have helped

Being trained as i've said before does not necessarily mean 'including droppings'! I know I keep banging on about this but not all rabbits, especially males, even neutered ones will deposit their pills in a litter box! It's not instinctive for all buns and you could train until you are blue in the face and it may not happen. In the wild not all buns use the communal latrine for their droppings, instead choosing to mark them around the territory constantly.
He may have this instinct, as does mine - I got it from the horses mouth when we were lucky enough to have Dr Anne McBride here at our house doing a home visit for our other rabbit's fear behaviour. I cheekily asked her about our male's droppings habit at the same time.

I really think you need to just chill out a bit about the poo! ;), I know it's a pain but you do get used to picking them up and you'll find some days aren't as bad as others. I'd definitely put some hay in the litter tray which should catch the ones he does when he eats. Sorry if that seems a bit rude, it's not meant to! :D:wave:
Just the way some buns are i'm afraid.

If he started this after you decorated is it possible that he's just trying to get the room "smelling of him" again?
In your situation, I'd just carry on picking up the poops, & take great care not to use ANY scented materials in the room until he settles.
Even with these measures mine does about 6 "stray single poops" a day in the wrong place. My home doesn't smell, there are no "poop marks", my HH would soon protest! Enough people have accidentally eaten rabbit poop - no ill effects what so ever. :shock:

Even perfect house bunnies often have a thing about sofas. I think it's cos we sit on them a lot and it makes them stink of us :lol: Which of course means they need regular remarking to make them belong to bunny again.

Banning him from the sofa or putting a tray on it are about the only options. With the latter, if he starts just using the tray, you can then try moving to a more appropriate place.

before life of stasis i would of locked the bun up in his own cage area for a week or two until he realised the greater area is not his territory but the cage area is...

since the first ever stasis episode ive lived thro with Alvin, i worship every single stray poop i find and the lack of scattered poops fills my heart ith fear :(:(
i think im lucky tho, i started having Alvin confined to a small area when i first got him and he knows that is his space... our bedroom he visits of an evening but its not his... no poops at all :D

Pearl only poops in the litter tray.

ive never managed to train Alvin or Pearl to do what i want :oops:

Back