• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

need peace of mind...feeling better page 3

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Winston doesn't seem his norm self today. Bit worried as he seems to be tired/sleeping a lot. His ears arent as perked as usual.
My oh said he was following him around this morn then I came in 2ish and opened the door for them to go out but he didnt want to which is unusual for him he just sat with me. He did eventually go out and lay on his belly feet out behind on the patio (never saw him do this either)
I put it down to him being hot as Angel was panting. Anyway supper time came 6ish and he came running over for din-din and was nibbling then he chucked his toys at me and lay back down to go to sleep.
Im worried now as I cant decide if hes really not feeling good or just huffing as its hot/sticky and now peeing down so he cant play out.
Hes had 1ml of metacam which he gets everyday anyway. Din greens and hay. Aswell as a little pinapple juice. My oh comes in 12ish so hell keep eye on him and if he was bad we would take straight to vet but Im worried as I need to go to bed but dont want to leave him incase he is poorly.
Sorry for mumbling what do you think??????????

Last edited:
I think you know your rabbit best and your gut instinct seems to be telling you something is wrong, so therefore I would go with that and get him checked out.

Has he eaten much? Is he pooing? weeing? Drinking?

I think you know your rabbit best and your gut instinct seems to be telling you something is wrong, so therefore I would go with that and get him checked out.

I agree with Sky-O

i agree.... and dont let them palm you off if they cant find sypmtoms

Well he is eating drinking and pooping but I just cant decide whats up. If you call him he seems bouncy today but he is eating real slow a though trying to keep his food at one end, then next hes fine and he keeps stretching out his bum.
Going to book him in today just to be sure there due for fortnightly weigh in anyway but not sure if theyll have space today thats all suppose take him to emergency vet over weekend if hes not good.
You dont know whether your over reacting or not sometimes. Most times its obvious others its not.
thanks

Hope you get on ok. at the vets.
The eating slowly and stretching does suggest he's in some discomfort although the metacam may be helping a bit.
The vet should check his mouth and teeth, have a good feel of his tummy and bladder etc.

Hope it's nothing serious but it is definitely worth getting him checked.

well rang vets this morn earliest app was tuesday. Then they rang back and said they had app at 2.30 which couldnt get there on time (to late to get someone eaither) so they said I could go and sit from3 till closing if i wanted reassurance which I did. They sound quite annoyed with me.
Hes now dosed up with med and got morphine and metacam for weekend as vet thinks hes got tooth ache. One of his very back teeth nearest throat is pointing in so hes back for dental on wed.
Receptionist wasnt happy as wed was earliest app and vet wanted him in tues "tuff wed will have to do"
Why are receptionists so pee'd off with us for being silly pet owners?
Feel much better now though least hes ok.
Angels there wed for checkup think shes due dental also as her eye is really gucked up. Better get some days off worked!:lol:
thanks guys sometimes its best to hear what others would do just to comfort you for sounding like an obsessed owner.
If I said to anyone else "my bunny's just lying around" they would have thought I was total nutter!

well rang vets this morn earliest app was tuesday. Then they rang back and said they had app at 2.30 which couldnt get there on time (to late to get someone eaither) so they said I could go and sit from3 till closing if i wanted reassurance which I did. They sound quite annoyed with me.
Hes now dosed up with med and got morphine and metacam for weekend as vet thinks hes got tooth ache. One of his very back teeth nearest throat is pointing in so hes back for dental on wed.
Receptionist wasnt happy as wed was earliest app and vet wanted him in tues "tuff wed will have to do"
Why are receptionists so pee'd off with us for being silly pet owners?
Feel much better now though least hes ok.
Angels there wed for checkup think shes due dental also as her eye is really gucked up. Better get some days off worked!:lol:
thanks guys sometimes its best to hear what others would do just to comfort you for sounding like an obsessed owner.
If I said to anyone else "my bunny's just lying around" they would have thought I was total nutter!

ive never had that, i think the receptionists at my vets know the importance of getting the rabbits in ASAP.... on Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday i was saw first thing even tho they was really really busy :oops:

im glad you managed to get him checked out :D:D

Since being at vets winnie has been very quiet like hes just come out of op his eyes are half shut and he tried to munch but couldn't be bothered hes just very sleepy.
He had an injection but cant think what it was hes also now just had his 1.2mls of metacam and med to prevent high dose of metacam. (he has morphine over weekend poss what that inj was)
is this normal should I just let him be tonight? Im really worried now as hes just so quiet and he was quite lively earlier do you think its just the jab?

Did you get an itemised receipt ?

If so the drugs should be listed on it.
The ones that would make him drowsy are likely to be called Vetergesic, Buprecare or Buprenorphine

oh gosh i dont know, alvin wasnt moving much when he was in stasis, but he didnt seem overly sleepy :?

on the first night with Alvin the vet did tell me to leave him be to see if the drugs worked on their own, not sure if that was why he had stasis for so long after tho but he was so stressed at the vets he thought any more messing would make it all worse :?

personally now, i would try syringe feeds/water at a minimum of every 2 hours.... i really think the fluid injections are what made the difference to life and death and the vets doing the syringe feeds for me during the day..

ive not got any experience with really strong pain killers tho :?

its so stressful and the helpless feeling is overwhelming but im sure youll get your little un thro it :)

Thankyou so much jacks-jane lurvee you!
Yeah veta what everyee he got 1ml of that
So its normal phew should I just leave him tonight or try and encourage eating etc. He has had food today and greens/hay and i have to go to bed soon (im not always in bed I start early thats all)

Thankyou so much jacks-jane lurvee you!
Yeah veta what everyee he got 1ml of that
So its normal phew should I just leave him tonight or try and encourage eating etc. He has had food today and greens/hay and i have to go to bed soon (im not always in bed I start early thats all)

I would leave a variety of his favorite foods within easy reach along with hay and a bowl of water. The sedative effects of the Vetergesic tend to wear off within about 6-8 hours so he should perk up overnight.

Honor will normally give vetergesic along with metacam to try and make him more comfortable...

As for receptionist, I know who you are talking about and I wouldn't take it personally ;) I think it's just how she comes across.

It sounds like that receptionist could do with a bit of education on why rabbits, as prey animals, disguise illness and need to be seen by a vet urgently if they are showing signs of being unwell.
I would be having that chat with her if she worked at my place...

me again
He' still not quite with it and hasnt ate very much at all, obv as he hasnt ate he has hardly pooped and what he has would all go together to make 1/2 a norm bit?
I know it sounds silly but is this normal? Just he was eating yesterday before going to vets and now hes not.
Also I found a tomatoe leaf on floor off plant I keep up high out of reach of bunnies what if he has ate one? I read they can make them ill but I dont know what ill would be? Obv vets are shut now so I dont know who to ask for help?

it really sounds like hes in stasis :'( i think youll need more drugs from the emergency vets unless you have some at home that your vet prescribed and the dreaded syringe feeding until he starts to want to eat himself.

sending loads of vibes, i really hope he perks up soon xxx

Hes interested in the food but gives up with it and seems to be taking ages. He gobbled down some bread and I have been got him some weetabix busy soaking it.
I opened the back door to see if he wanted to go out which he did (just to test really how bad he was) and he jumped on sofa ran out and went to sleep.
I have just give him his drugs about hour ago and since coming back from shops he gobbling hay down and waiting for his weetabix.
Seems like it is his mouth just feel useless as feel shocking and dont know what to do. Obv wednesday is a long time to wait if hes hurting and the drugs runs out monday which we assume was to get out of his system for dental which vet wanted on tuesday but receptionist couldnt fit him in then.

sorry you all know what its like when your pets are ill. Winston will be better then ill be worrying over angel as her eye is really acting up.
Im going to calm myself and then give them both some healing "deep breaths"

Hes interested in the food but gives up with it and seems to be taking ages. He gobbled down some bread and I have been got him some weetabix busy soaking it.
I opened the back door to see if he wanted to go out which he did (just to test really how bad he was) and he jumped on sofa ran out and went to sleep.
I have just give him his drugs about hour ago and since coming back from shops he gobbling hay down and waiting for his weetabix.
Seems like it is his mouth just feel useless as feel shocking and dont know what to do. Obv wednesday is a long time to wait if hes hurting and the drugs runs out monday which we assume was to get out of his system for dental which vet wanted on tuesday but receptionist couldnt fit him in then.

sorry you all know what its like when your pets are ill. Winston will be better then ill be worrying over angel as her eye is really acting up.
Im going to calm myself and then give them both some healing "deep breaths"

Honor doesn't work Mondays which is why she will have said Tuesday. If you think he is in pain then you should take him back on Monday, although I don't know who is on then. I am really surprised they are making him wait, it's seems clear that he is having some pain or discomfort. Is there any chance that you can up his metacam....

Personally I would have told the receptionist that Honor wanted him in on Tuesday regardless, she can't just deny the vets wishes (they have done it to me too) and it's not like it's not an emergency.

Back