• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits strain when pooing and burst a..

CRBevis

Mama Doe
vessel causing little spots of fresh red blood on their poo every now and then.

Polo is coming up for 14 weeks, dwarf lop, eating lot of hay, pellet drinking water pooing normal eating or cecals and running round like a loon as usual.

Yesterday I say a normal poo with a slither of fresh bright red blood on it and all the other poos were fine.

Later on in the evening I found another normal sized poo with a tiny bit of blood on and this time it had one of those poos they can sometimes get which looks like to poos moulded together. Now I wondered if he had strained a little to ge the big poo out and it caused a little tear or burst blood vessel.

I checked his bum and it looks fine, no external damage and no blood on fur.

This morning again a double poo and then a normal single poo with a spec of blood on it. The blood is less than yesterday. Then this evening got home from work and found another single poo with a spec of blood but no double barrel poo.

I spoke to vet last night and she said could be he has strained or could be parasite.

I'm thinking not parasite's especially cocidiosis (sp) as he not got the squits not lost appetite or losing weight, and cannot see any sign of anything other than hay in his poo. He has a vet appointment tomorrow and I have saved all the poos to show her.

Oh and he doesn't look to have a prolapse, again the blood is hardly anything it's litrally spots of fresh red blood.

Anyone else ever had this or know that as with humans cats and dogs, buns too can strain and get this! Once again the amount of blood is teeny weenie, I only saw it cos I poo inspect:D

I think we had this with Bunnie but can't remember:roll:

By parasites she could mean worms which might not show symptoms or make him ill. The treatment is cheap and easy (pancur) so it would be worth doing to as a precaution :)

By parasites she could mean worms which might not show symptoms or make him ill. The treatment is cheap and easy (pancur) so it would be worth doing to as a precaution :)

Yeah she mentioned panacuring him but when I went last time and asked for some for ec procaution she said wanted to wait till he weighed more as at time he was 650gms and she said even though can't OD on panacur she was not keen giving it to him even in a small dose.

She will obviously weight him tomorrow which I say probs near 1kg now, so just as a precaution she may let me panacur him.

Yesterday and today it has only happened twice and spot of blood only on 1 or 2 poos at a time.

Take it you not ever seen or heard of this??:D

Take it you not ever seen or heard of this??:D

Nope :( It's not something I would panic over at this stage as it's such a small amount. It might be the sort of thing that resolves itself and remains a mystery.

One thing would be to check his toe nails in case he caught one. They are often the source of unexplained blood, it could be he walked over the poop instead of it being the source. Bit of a long shot though.

Nope :( It's not something I would panic over at this stage as it's such a small amount. It might be the sort of thing that resolves itself and remains a mystery.

One thing would be to check his toe nails in case he caught one. They are often the source of unexplained blood, it could be he walked over the poop instead of it being the source. Bit of a long shot though.

Thats an idea, oo he not gonna like me checking this! I'll hae another look at his bum while I there though just to check!

Yes I am not panicking as it is hardly any and only been on 4 occassions over 2 days and today the blood is less than yesterday.

Pretty sure it is from his bum thought cos I sat there and watched him do a joined poo and then a single popped out with a spec of fresh blood on sooo, but I shall disturb him from his tv viewing and do a nail and bum inspection.

The only blood gonna be on his nails after is probably mine:roll::lol:

Back