• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E-coli in rabbits - please help

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
The vet has just rang to tell me the results of Frank's swab up his nose that we thought was pasturella. Well he has told me it is e-coli? I have never heard of this in bunnies and there is limited info on the net.

Has anyone any experience of this please? I would be grateful for anyones advice. Going to see the vet this evening as in addition to Frank's penicillin injections, we are to give him baytril also as e-coli responds to this.

Em

E coli is a common contaminant which would give you a false result. If however there is a heavy pure growth, it may be significant in which case could be causing respiratory signs. I assume the lab has done a sensitivity test to tell you which antibiotic will best kill it. I myself would question the significance but I dont know any more about the case sorry
Goodluck

Yes, they said that baytril is the best antibiotic. I hopefully will know more when I go to the vets this evening however, it is a different vet from my usual.

I suppose am a bit shocked and worred as I have never heard of it in bunnies and there is nothing on the internet?

Just got back from the vet and she said there was a profuse growth of e-coli. He could of got it anywhere - off his bum, environment etc. I was a bit worried that it was something that I had done. Penny Pocket is showing the same signs as Frank so we will commencing treatment with her on Saturday but the other two - touch wood - are absolutely fine.

I have been reading on the internet - although there isn't a lot to read - that there is a vaccine?

I'm hoping to find out more when I see my regular vet on Saturday. I know he usually rings Frances Harcourt Brown for advice when he is at a loss.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts experiences? Sorry to keep hounding but am wanting to know if anyone else has come across this?

Back