• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions about my bunnie

Dons1975

New Kit
Hi I am new both to this forum and owning a bunnie.
I have a couple of questions (not sure i am posting in right place apologies if not) and would be grateful for any advice.

First of all Jessica doesnt seem to be drinking from her bottle only a small bowl that i need to constantly fill - I am worried that if she finishes it and I dont get a chance to fill it straight away will she know to use the bottle? With it being warm I dont want her to go without water.

Also I have seen lots of products such as shampoo etc - do you bathe your bunnie? Jessica is constantly cleaning herself - and she doesnt like getting picked up, though she may in the future.

Another worry that i have is fly strike - there are lots of flies around just now but I cant pick her up to check her bum - do you think she is a big risk if she keeps herself clean and I keep the hutch clean?
Thanks and apologies for all the questions but I worry about her a lot!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Firstly, many bunnies prefer to drink from a bowl :) 2 of my bunnies drink from a bowl. Get her a bigger bowl, or give her more than 1 bowl. I use a heavy ceramic dog water bowl for my bunnies. Remember to use a heavy bowl so it doesnt get tipped over :)

You dont need to bath your bunny, she will clean herself. Bunnies dont like getting bathed, so its best avoided. The only time you would need to clean her is if she gets a messy bottom (very unlikely if shes on the correct diet) and in this case you would bathe her bottom end only, not the whole bunny.

As for flystrike... how come you are unable to pick her up? I do bum checks twice daily on all the buns here, it only takes a minute, and also change litter trays twice daily. If you keep the living area clean (pick up poos often and remove all wet bedding daily) and also do thorough hutch cleans with the spray cleaner twice a week hopefully the flies will stay away... you could also get some fly screen to put at the front of the hutch so the fies are unable to get in :)

Hope that helps, enjoy the forum :) We need pics of your bunny!! xXx

Thanks Becky.
I change her litter tray in the morning and evening. She runs away when I try to pick her up and I am scared I will hurt her if I pick her up and she struggles! She is still getting used to us, when we first got her she ran away as soon as we came near now she comes up to us and lets us stroke her but as soon as I go to lift her shes off. My husband manages it but he is away this week.

How do you get the pictures on your posts? I am unsure how to do it!

Some bunnies prefer the water bowl just get a bigger one for her :) I actually use a proper cereal bowl with some of mine :lol: (that was just when I lost the wire for the bottle:roll:) as mine can use the bottle fine.
It sounds like your being really clean with her which is always a good way to avoid flystrike, another thing people highly recommend to avoid flystrike it rearguard I think you can get it from your vets:wave:

Back