• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly BITE warning.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I haven't seen this problem posted.

In March (before wasps & bees were around, but there were a few "horse flies") Thumps was bitten on his "uppy ear" when free in the garden. The 1st. thing I noticed was loss of fur, & so much swelling he couldn't move his ear which just hung. Straight to the vet who prescribed Baytril & to continue metacam. Only 2 hours later there was severe red local swelling in the small area of fur loss but all settled down remarkably quickly, although it was obviously intensely itchy.

A few days later, the veins on both sides of his ear had clotted, a narrow strip of skin died, & separated off on both sides. (Vasculitis + dry gangrene) He's still got a scarred ear, & only partial fur regrowth - white not his black colouring.

Feel we are very lucky indeed that our vet took such prompt action. I dread to think what would have happened without it.

I haven't seen this problem posted.

In March (before wasps & bees were around, but there were a few "horse flies") Thumps was bitten on his "uppy ear" when free in the garden. The 1st. thing I noticed was loss of fur, & so much swelling he couldn't move his ear which just hung. Straight to the vet who prescribed Baytril & to continue metacam. Only 2 hours later there was severe red local swelling in the small area of fur loss but all settled down remarkably quickly, although it was obviously intensely itchy.

A few days later, the veins on both sides of his ear had clotted, a narrow strip of skin died, & separated off on both sides. (Vasculitis + dry gangrene) He's still got a scarred ear, & only partial fur regrowth - white not his black colouring.

Feel we are very lucky indeed that our vet took such prompt action. I dread to think what would have happened without it.

Oh dear, poor Thumps :( Does he have a cauliflower ear now?
Chris was brushing Poppy last night (she is moulting so heavily) and found a bite on her back :( I think Mozzi but she seems ok, just been scratching it so had made it bleed and scab a bit. We have blue light fly killers up which are great but not much you can do when they are outside - so many Mozzi's in the city though!!! :(

Back