• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tick on eyelid!

Funk

Young Bun
I just checked on my Molly and she has what looks like a tick on her bottom eyelid! This was not there half an hour ago. I obviously do not want to pull it as it will leave the head, and I can't use a tick-puller because it is so close to her eye. Editted to show a better photo of it:

DSCF1212.jpg

She has had beaphar applied, but I'm very worried. My partner and I have experience removing ticks, and Molly is being very patient and allowing me to touch her head (which is how I seen that it was a tick; at first I thought it was just a piece of dirt on an eyelash as she had been digging earlier today). I don't want to risk using a tick puller because it will harm her eyelashes, and I just don't feel confident using tweezers since it is so close to her actual eye.

Last edited:
I would suggest taking her to the vets to get it removed by them.

Yes, I was going to take her as soon as it opens tonight. If it was anywhere else on her body, I'd do it myself. I've editted the photo to show a better one of what it's actually like.

I would suggest taking her to the vets to get it removed by them.

Agree. Hope it gets sorted soon. :)
Just wondering if Ticks can transmit things to rabbits as they can to us? Would be worth asking your vet. Also tick bites can sometimes cause an allergic response so it may be that an antihistamine or NSAID is needed? I'm sure your vet will know.

Agree. Hope it gets sorted soon. :)
Just wondering if Ticks can transmit things to rabbits as they can to us? Would be worth asking your vet. Also tick bites can sometimes cause an allergic response so it may be that an antihistamine or NSAID is needed? I'm sure your vet will know.

Humans can contract lyme disease from certain breeds of tick. There has been a massive increase in tick numbers in this area in the past couple of years (we never used to have them, but the mild weather is bringing them and other creepie crawlies out of the woodwork and causing them to breed at a crazy speed) and there have actually been warnings issued in certain areas about ticks and the dangers of them.

I read about the bites causing an allergic reaction, so I will see what the vet has to say tonight when I take her. I hate to see it on her but I'm glad it's somewhere where I did notice it pretty quickly.

Humans can contract lyme disease from certain breeds of tick. There has been a massive increase in tick numbers in this area in the past couple of years (we never used to have them, but the mild weather is bringing them and other creepie crawlies out of the woodwork and causing them to breed at a crazy speed) and there have actually been warnings issued in certain areas about ticks and the dangers of them.

I read about the bites causing an allergic reaction, so I will see what the vet has to say tonight when I take her. I hate to see it on her but I'm glad it's somewhere where I did notice it pretty quickly.

Yes Lyme disease was what I was referring to but was trying not to bamboozle you or confuse the issue as this is in humans. My dad's a GP and he's had an allergic reaction to a tick bite recently, bearing in mind he also keeps bees and is used to getting stung! So I thought i'd better just warn you about that....I'm sure vet will sort it out, well done for spotting it. Ticks tend to hide in bracken where they brush off other animals - wild ponies, sheep etc...any wild animals nearby??

Yes Lyme disease was what I was referring to but was trying not to bamboozle you or confuse the issue as this is in humans. My dad's a GP and he's had an allergic reaction to a tick bite recently, bearing in mind he also keeps bees and is used to getting stung! So I thought i'd better just warn you about that....I'm sure vet will sort it out, well done for spotting it. Ticks tend to hide in bracken where they brush off other animals - wild ponies, sheep etc...any wild animals nearby??

Lol, I live in the countryside so I am completely surrounded by both livestock and wild animals. In fact, the back garden is seperated from a livestock field by a thin strip of trees but like I said, we never used to get ticks here. It's only been in the past two or three years that they've made a return. I'm wondering if certain breeds of tick can in fact transmit diseases in rabbits. I know with a lot of them, they only ever feed off the one host before dropping off when they are full and dying after reproduction but I don't know much about "jumping hosts" with ticks.

The good news is that the tick has fallen off all on its own! I am still taking her to the vet for a check up anyway (the area where the tick was appears clear and clean, but I've not touched it incase I trigger a reaction with the tick saliva), but the beapher seems to have worked for now. She's had a groom and seems happier :)

Lol, I live in the countryside so I am completely surrounded by both livestock and wild animals. In fact, the back garden is seperated from a livestock field by a thin strip of trees but like I said, we never used to get ticks here. It's only been in the past two or three years that they've made a return. I'm wondering if certain breeds of tick can in fact transmit diseases in rabbits. I know with a lot of them, they only ever feed off the one host before dropping off when they are full and dying after reproduction but I don't know much about "jumping hosts" with ticks.

The good news is that the tick has fallen off all on its own! I am still taking her to the vet for a check up anyway (the area where the tick was appears clear and clean, but I've not touched it incase I trigger a reaction with the tick saliva), but the beapher seems to have worked for now. She's had a groom and seems happier :)

Yes, my dad was surprised to have been bitten so early on in the year - it was a few months back, and said that they do seem to be on the rise in the countryside. I'm so glad it fell off on its own and everything seems ok.....great news, we do worry about our buns don't we. :)

Back