• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor little piggy

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I got up this morning to see my littlest piggy huddled in the corner of his cage, food untouched. He seemed fine at about 1am when I went to bed. I tried to tempt him with some cucumber this morning, but he took it off me, then didnt eat it. Hurried him off to the vets for 10am, but she cant see anything obviously wrong. She gave him Vitamin B which apparently stimulates his appetite, and some baytril in case theres any infection somewhere, but all she said was come back tomorrow if he's any better (like its that or he's dead!). Ive given him some probiotic in the hope he drinks it.

What else can I do? He's always been a sickly piggy, he was a runt and the mother rejected him at birth, didnt even break him out of the sack. Im just trying to tempt him atm, given him his favourite hay and veggies, he sort of nosed at it a bit, but nothing more than a little nibble. Im so worried. My normal Vet wasnt about, and Im not totally sure of this new one.

i am noo expert in piggys but with my bunny gizmo when he was off food and water i siringed water into him [not loads just 5 mls every couple of hours] also the vet gave me something called crytical care food. which is mush that you siringe feed them. It may be worth asking your vet if they do anything like this for piggys:?

Sending loads of vibes that he gets well soon :love:

He's drinking atm, and I have some critical care but its 3 months old, is that likely to be out of date? (its up in the garage to keep cool, so a pain to check). Im worried about syringing him adn choking him on it :(

well i would say just give the vet a quick bell and see if they think it would be out of date or even worth trying at the moment. If he is drinking then that is a good thing so i would just check on the syringe feeding with the vet and see what they say.

have you syringe fed a piggy before? just that i remember reading somewhere that you have to be shown by a vet how to do it properly so you don't choke them etc. trying to think where i read it and can't remember.

good luck anyway, and hope little piggy improves. x

You have to put the syringe behind his teeth, it is quite hard to do. If he is small, you could try and feed him off the back of a spoon. Or water from a clean paintbrush.

I would really get on top of his appetite issues now because from experience, when tehy stop eating thata pretty much it. I really hope he pulls through. How are his wee and poo?

Thats a good point Jane, that hadnt occurred to me. Its just when piggies stop eating, you know its bad because they love their food :(

No pain relief, the vet didnt seem to think he needed any :? He's weeing fine, and theres poos in his cage, although not as many as usual. He had a pretend nibble on his hay, but thats it. TRying his favourite veggies but nothing more than a nibble at most.

Could he have eaten a foreign object? Like a piece of plastic or something?

If he hasnt got any runny poo then that could be a possibility.

he hasnt had anything in his cage other than hay and his food since we cleaned him out yesterday, i needed to go into town to get new stuff for them, but mums refusing to drive me beacuse im not getting any better snce my op.

If she won't let you go will someone be able to go for you and get it? Would your mum be willing?

(Edit, the reason I ask is that I am not too far from you so if you needed anything getting I would be happy to help out).

Thanks, Im going to poke my dad when he gets home from work and see if he can, if not though that would be hugely helpful. I remembered to get food adn megazorb and hay sorted pre op, but no tubes and things. Mum happy enough to take me to the vets, but im effectively grounded other than that.

Ok, well, you'll have to give me a VERY specific list if you want anything because I know NOTHING about pigs

(disclaimer: even with a specific list there is still no guarantee I'll get the right thing :lol:)

Managed to send Dad out to get a tube for him so at least he has a hidey hole again. He's nibbled a little bit of the random veggies we put in, but I can only see 2 poos. He seems to be drinking completely normally, just wont eat. I called the vet back, and she said there really wasnt much more she could suggest. Ive managed to get some pureed veggies into him, he licked about .5ml but then gave up. Fingers crossed for the little lad for tonight. Im sleeping downstairs with him.

Ok the little guy is still not eating much at all, Ive been shoving the critical care food into him and he's taking it well, but now Im almost out. He's been pooing, not loads, but proportional to the food im managing to get into him. My favourite vets on emergency tomorrow so Im going to try and get him to have another look. He's getting the food in, but he's pretty apathetic about it. Does anyone local to Bury St Edmunds/Thetford know where I can get more? Ive tried a lot of the local pet stores. The vets were only selling huge tubs of it at silly prices so Im trying elsewhere. Any other tips on what I can do for the little lad? He's perked up a bit in himself, but he wont eat much at all.

Ok the little guy is still not eating much at all, Ive been shoving the critical care food into him and he's taking it well, but now Im almost out. He's been pooing, not loads, but proportional to the food im managing to get into him. My favourite vets on emergency tomorrow so Im going to try and get him to have another look. He's getting the food in, but he's pretty apathetic about it. Does anyone local to Bury St Edmunds/Thetford know where I can get more? Ive tried a lot of the local pet stores. The vets were only selling huge tubs of it at silly prices so Im trying elsewhere. Any other tips on what I can do for the little lad? He's perked up a bit in himself, but he wont eat much at all.

If you have a "pets @ home store" near you i think they do sachets of it. or another thing i tried again with a bunny though is getting his pellets adding a little warm water to it and turned into mushy looking like baby food. and fed him that. Is his teeth ok? because if not he may eat softer food if you leave it with him... good luck sending loads of vibes for him to get better soon

nearest P@H is norwich, about an hour drive. Ive tried mushed soaked food, he didnt seem to like it all that much. I cant see anything wrong with the teeth, adn teh vet had a good scope about in there to check too. Im worried its something more internal.

how is he now then? sending loads of vibes for your little piggy. Hope he is still pooing. Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

After calling round most of the animal stuff shops in the area I found one that normally stocks it but has none left. However, they kindly said call in adn theyll give some from the tub they hold in case the pets they sell are ever sick free. So Ive just got some into him again now, but he's still not great. He's pood a bit this afternoon again. Wish I could do more for the poor little guy.

Back