• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally booked in to be spaded

shannon321

Alpha Buck
I've been meaning to do it for months but had a hetic couple of months loosing my job and stuff, so i've booked her in next thursday for full MOT spay, teeth check and claw clip if needed and then she's getting her first mxyi and vhd jabs (i know i should of had these done when i got recused her 6 months ago but im getting them done now which is all that matters) when she goes in for her post op check up!

She been getting lots of phantom pregnancies and has been humping my leg alot so its deffenatly time!

She's only about 3 and appears very healthy so i dont think they'll be any problems is there anything i can do or feed her to help her get through the GA? i asked my vet and she's had ltos of experiance with spaying rabbits which is good :D

also i've been looking for like an FAQ on bonding but can't find one as bunny shall be gettins a lovely male friend once the hormones subside!

well she's going in this morning and i'm really nervous, woke up real early!
ive got a few questions which im sure the vet will answer b ut thought id ask here anyway,
whats the likely hood of puuling the stiches out? i'm presuming the wound should only be an inch or so long? like on cats? (i'm a bit squeemish so hoping not!)

will i need to clean the wound as id probly need to buritto her o do that and wouldnt want to distress her?

I presume hay will be an irritant to her wound? she's kept on blankets but has it in her litter tray.

what signs shall i look out for once i bring her home? as in bad signs?

my vet asked me to bring her normal pellet food in so that she could get eaing straight after the op, shouldi bring one of those wire balls with some hay in it too?

i know she can't jump onto things ect but is there anything else i should do?

well she's going in this morning and i'm really nervous, woke up real early!
ive got a few questions which im sure the vet will answer b ut thought id ask here anyway,

whats the likely hood of puuling the stiches out? i'm presuming the wound should only be an inch or so long? like on cats? (i'm a bit squeemish so hoping not!)
Bunnies are invariably good at removing stitches, so you will need to keep a close eye on her. Most stitches tend to be internal ones that they can't get their little teeth into, but if she does start to nibble at them then she may need to wear a buster collar for a little while. If she does need to wear a collar, you will need to make sure she is eating & drinking propertly as some buns find them distressing. Your vet will advise you more.

will i need to clean the wound as id probly need to buritto her o do that and wouldnt want to distress her?
We've always been advised to bath the wound with cooled boiled water with a bit of salt in it to keep it clean. You will need to check her would regularly so would try to incorporate bathing it when you do this. Again though, your vet will advise you more.

I presume hay will be an irritant to her wound? she's kept on blankets but has it in her litter tray.
Whenever any of ours have been spayed or neutered, I've confined them to a cage for a few days on vet bed, as this is more absorbant than blankets & you're right hay can irritate the wound. If possible I'd try to get hold of some vet bed today if you can, it will be more comfy for her to sleep on etc.

what signs shall i look out for once i bring her home? as in bad signs?
She will probably feel off for a few days as it's a big op, but in the main you need to ensure she is eating, drinking & pooing. Some buns prefer a bowl to drink from when they're had an op. It can take a couple of days to start eating & pooing normally again but your vet will advise you on what you need to be aware of further. Make sure you've got a variety of foods in to tempt her, that said with ours it's been dandelions & grass that they've wanted after their ops. Ask your vet about pain relief for her to make sure she gets some & if you will need to take her back to be checked up or further injection tomorrow.

my vet asked me to bring her normal pellet food in so that she could get eaing straight after the op, shouldi bring one of those wire balls with some hay in it too?
I would take her some hay in as well to eat - she might not want her pellets straight away.

i know she can't jump onto things ect but is there anything else i should do?
Confine her to a cage to restrict her whilst she heals. Make sure she can't jump onto anything, keep her quiet & warm. I've found with some buns they've needed to be in a separate room away from the hustle & bustle of the house & have even covered their cage with a blanket to make it a little darker for them. That said make sure if it's warm that she's not too warm by doing this.

Sending lots of vibes for you little girl & hoping she will be back to her normal self in no time. Let us know how she goes on. She'll be happier in the long run, especially when she can have a bunny friend :)

Hope eveything goes ok. As i said in a previous post, Amber was spayed a week ago and i was really suprised how 'normal' she was when i brought her home. My advice would be to leave her to rest when she gets home and just check on her every so often and offer her a favourite treat. Expect her to be a bit quiet

As Bunnyaddict says, try dandelion leaves as both times after GA Amber was obsessed with them. (is there any reason for this????)

Don't forget to ask about pain relief. Amber went back the next day for a pain relief injection. This pain killer lasts for 24 hours.

Jean Doe spayed last week also

Hi

My baby was spayed last week at 10 months old.

I'm also quite suprised how normal she is after this time. The first 24 hours she was a bit subdued and clingy but then quite normal.

She's been eating hay, strawberries, brocoli, dutch carrots and some celery, (pooing like there's no tomorrow), and staying in the laundry, and having a little mooch around in the house when I'm home.

I check her wound every day, (about an inch long), and for the first two to three days gave her some pain relief in a syringe, which she loved and almost knocked me over for,

She did try to pull on her stictches a bit at first but has stopped now, gladly.

Good luck with the spay,

thanks guys, well i dropped her off and i asked about wether she'd be getting pain killers and a gut motility drug and they looked shocked that i even needed to ask so it obviously normal practice for them.

She was frozen with fear when i left her :( now just got a long day of worrying ahead!

well that said they'd ring at lunch time to let me know how it went, but 'lunchtime' is different to everyone!! lol
i wish they'd hurry up and ring!!

yeah i deffenatly will, i know all of them in the vets either from childhood or from going in there so much so im worried that she might of not pulled through and there putting off telling me?!

God its mad the scenarios that go through your mind!

yeah i deffenatly will, i know all of them in the vets either from childhood or from going in there so much so im worried that she might of not pulled through and there putting off telling me?!

God its mad the scenarios that go through your mind!

No, they would have called you if something was wrong. It just maybe that bun was last on the op list :)

Oh hope your wee one is ok, as said, im sure youd hear if she wasnt.
Hope she gets home soon x

phew! i just rang and she's fine! operation went fine and she had to have some small spurs on her teeth done but everything else is ok and i can get her at 4!!!

when i was ringing they where taking ages to answer and my heart was beating so heavy!

Back