• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Celery *WARNING*

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
Please please please if you give your bun or Guinea Pig celery please make sure it is cut into bite sized pieces and not left as a whole stick for them to munch on.

Just had a phonecall from a very distressed owner telling me her rabbit died yesterday due to choking because of the long stringy strands that come off a stick of celery. It had literally wrapped itself round the buns windpipe:cry:

Please please please if you give your bun or Guinea Pig celery please make sure it is cut into bite sized pieces and not left as a whole stick for them to munch on.

Just had a phonecall from a very distressed owner telling me her rabbit died yesterday due to choking because of the long stringy strands that come off a stick of celery. It had literally wrapped itself round the buns windpipe:cry:

Thanks for the warning. I never give mine celery for this reason - plus they hate it

I've always cut mine up to, but mainly because I have gummy bunnies and some that are not too hot at sharing with others (large pieces are snatched away). :roll:

Thanks for the warning. I apply it to anything that's "stringy" & watch he cant chew garden twine when He's free ranging!

I never thought of that happening :shock: its not something my buns get often but will always chop it up from now on.

I also never thought of that and my buns eat a lot of celery - cut into long thin strips so Nino can eat it more easily. Will chop horizontally in future, thank you:)

This is a good point, i always thought people would automatically chop it up anyway... my kids always get all their veg chopped up :oops::oops: xXx

yes i normally cut them small as i noticed long time back that when mowgli had longer pieces with his bad teeth bits got stuck in his teeth

I tend not to use it for guinea pigs as it can give then cystitis but I always give small bits to rabbits , I heard a long while ago that it wasn't good to leave it in whole pieces .
RIp little bun

I always chop my celery as I noticed stringy bits. Although I tend to chop everyting for them. I also peel their carrots :shock:

Rabswood

Thank you for posting! I actually gave my two a load of celery sticks the other day as I found out they loved it.. I will take your advice, thanks x

Back