• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have 4 Cute 9 week old Rabbits

Will

Young Bun
A lady local to where i live rescued a rabbit from a friend of a friend. After a couple of weeks this rabbit had babys which she didnt know that it was pregnant, she new it was female and new to keep it away from a rabbit which she already had which she did,

So she had 8 kits in the hutch one morning when she went to feed mum, mum didnt show any signs and didnt build a nest till the last moment. They lost 2 at the start so 6 were left. she advertised in the local paper looking for homes for them and so i made contact with her and went to look at them tonight, When i rang i was told that she had 3 remaining as she had been able to rehome 2 of them. I had made up my mind before getting there that if i was going to have 2 then i didnt want to leave the third on its own to be rehomed as a single so i new i was going to take it as well. When i got there i saw 6 cute little rabbits and new straight away i would be taking them home with me, i had gone prepared with a box just incase. I was told which one had been sold so i checked on the all of them and mum and held them all which was fine they were all fine as well. So i said i would take the 3 that needed to be rehomed then the lady said would i mind taking the 4th as well which i didnt but i wanted to make sure she was ok with it as she had lost her rabbit that morning to an illness which she was very upset about. The kits hadnt been near him or shared any space with him so im hoping they will be ok. So i went away with 4 rabbits instead of 3 which i dont mind.

Im not sure of the sex of them so a friend who has had rabbits for years looked and it looks like i have 2 males and 2 females which isnt to bad as i will get the males done as soon as possible as i dont want babies. I will take them to the vets in the next couple of days to make she they are ok.

I have been looking at hutches as i have a small hutch which is ok at the moment but i know wont be good enough in the end. Im looking at this hutch what do you all think?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6FT-Double-Rabbit-guinea-pig-Ferret-Hutch-103_W0QQitemZ230349172896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item35a1e170a0&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A30

Would it best to keep them all as a 4 once i have had the males done if i have males or would it be best to have 2 couples?

here are my 4 rabbits
IMG_0102.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg

The fourth ran off but i will get a better shot tomorrow
IMG_0103.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg

They have no names yet so i will be naming them soon.

Hi Wil,

I personally would seperated into male / female until the males are done, you will need to keep them seperated for 6 weeks after the op, but I would also suggest getting the girls done too as they will be raging with hormones and will be more likely to spark fights. It also prevents cancer, which is what most female rabbits get once they are over the age of 2-3. I got Sophie's done at 16 weeks, but it will depend on your vet.

I like the hutch, but can I suggest a shed with a run.

When I got Charlie I only had a partial clue! and bought a 4ft hutch, then he got a friend and I got a 5ft double plus 6ft run, then I got another rabbit and another hutch :roll: then I got another rabbit ( are you with me so far. I paid about 600 pounds for the two set ups and runs

It is such a pain to clean out the hutches, litter trays etc, that I am getting a converted dog run http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330327512643 built to 14ft by 6ft ( on last measurements) with the kick boards at the top so the buns can look out :) Its going to be fab, I can sit out with them when it is raining,they will not gett too wet and I don't have any excuses! There is enough storage for hay etc so my OH will not have to complain about dragging hay acroos the house. Have a search of shed set ups, there are some lovely ones out there.

I have a 6ft by 6ft run that i plan to attach to it as well.

So i need to put male/male together and female/female together and once they have all been done then it would be ok to let them all live together.

Back