• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dirty matted bottom

Hi, just checked Isabella's bottom and matted with pooh so worried as hear awful things bout fly strike. She has got heavier since being neutered think she is pinching Snowy's food - her husbun. can i sort problem or vet best place to go? She has appointment for vaccine booster on Friday. Been on holiday and was being looked after. Help!

Hi, just checked Isabella's bottom and matted with pooh so worried as hear awful things bout fly strike. She has got heavier since being neutered think she is pinching Snowy's food - her husbun. can i sort problem or vet best place to go? She has appointment for vaccine booster on Friday. Been on holiday and was being looked after. Help!

You need to give her a bottom bath in some warm water in a sink or bowl. If you hold her against your tummy upside down you can splash her rear end with warm water and soak the bits of poo off, or you can stand her in a bowl of water and use your hand underneath her bottom to soften and clean it off. Warm water is usually enough once it has softened, you don't normally need any soap. If it's really caked on/long fur then you could carefully snip the worst bits off but take care not to cut her skin or too close to the skin.
You must dry her thoroughly after and keep her somewhere warm for a few hours or give her a heat pad to lie on. Keep as much of her as dry as possible. Buns can get hypothermic easily.

You might also want to review her diet to prevent this happening in the future. Up the fibre (hay and grass) and reduce the pellets/mix or whatever you feed to an eggcup full. Also avoid carrots and fruit for a few days and only feed these as a treat. Leafy green are better. If it's bad I would cut out everything but hay and water for a few days provided she knows how to eat hay and enjoys it. A vet trip may be in order to make sure she doesn't have dental issues contributing to her discarded caecotrophs or another health issue underlying??

When need be, I tend to use a bit of warm water with a dash of small animal shampoo in. I then use the cotton wool pads, dip them in the water and squeeze so they are only damp and wipe/tease any poop out - minimal wetness his way and then dry off.

I must add, my bun is very good and lies in my arms like a baby :love:

Some people use cornflour and rub it in to loosen it, I believe it works well.

As prettylupin, check on the diet.

You need to give her a bottom bath in some warm water in a sink or bowl. If you hold her against your tummy upside down you can splash her rear end with warm water and soak the bits of poo off, or you can stand her in a bowl of water and use your hand underneath her bottom to soften and clean it off. Warm water is usually enough once it has softened, you don't normally need any soap. If it's really caked on/long fur then you could carefully snip the worst bits off but take care not to cut her skin or too close to the skin.
You must dry her thoroughly after and keep her somewhere warm for a few hours or give her a heat pad to lie on. Keep as much of her as dry as possible. Buns can get hypothermic easily.

You might also want to review her diet to prevent this happening in the future. Up the fibre (hay and grass) and reduce the pellets/mix or whatever you feed to an eggcup full. Also avoid carrots and fruit for a few days and only feed these as a treat. Leafy green are better. If it's bad I would cut out everything but hay and water for a few days provided she knows how to eat hay and enjoys it. A vet trip may be in order to make sure she doesn't have dental issues contributing to her discarded caecotrophs or another health issue underlying??

I did exactly this with my 2 buns that get similar problems. Works a treat. You may also want to consider what pellets you feed if you are still having the same problem after pellet reduction :wave:

Back