• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Totally freerange or not?

Kits

Young Bun
Hi there,

trying to decide wether my lionhead boy would be better off completely freerange in our house, at the moment he's shut away at night & if we're at work, the rest of the time he has the run of the ground floor & is still trying to befriend our cats! That's another thing, can he be happy as a single boy or should buns always have a friend?

Can't decide if we stick with the indoor cage or just give him a snuggly dog bed & ditch the cage - opinions welcome!

Thanks

If he doesnt damage anything and is well litter trained and all wires etc are safe so he cant hurt himself i personally would go free range. Mine are in the same position as yours but if and when they become totally trustworthy in the litter department and dont cause too much damage then i will let them be free range with my cats.
I am thinking when they are fully grown they will be more settled and more trustworthy lol xx you could do it gradually and see how that goes, leave him out if you nip out on small trip to shop or something and increase the trust if all is well. That is my plan xxx:) In the past i had 4 free range buns in the living room not spayed but boys were neutred and not properly litter trained and it was chaos lol xx We had to give in to putting them away at night as that seemed to be the worst time and they destroyed the place, but then there were alot of them and they werent trained and girls not spayed so lots of explainable reasons really xx

Hi there,

trying to decide wether my lionhead boy would be better off completely freerange in our house, at the moment he's shut away at night & if we're at work, the rest of the time he has the run of the ground floor & is still trying to befriend our cats! That's another thing, can he be happy as a single boy or should buns always have a friend?

Can't decide if we stick with the indoor cage or just give him a snuggly dog bed & ditch the cage - opinions welcome!

Thanks

Ours are freerange except for at night and if we are going to be out all day. If only out for a couple of hours we leave them out and about as whole house bunny proofed and they never chew anything.
I personally find that they like to go back to their hutch at bedtime - it gives them routine and added security to have a territory of their own that we don't invade, but it gives us peace of mind over night, we know they are safe, less injury likely to occur or accidents, and most of all if we are out it makes me think that if someone broke in or left a door open we wouldn't lose them into the street! (They are microchipped just in case...i'm that paranoid! :lol:)

Thanks, since I posted we've let Eddie freerange all day, only closing him in his cage when we go to bed & he seems to be ahppy, still very shy & will often hop away from us if we stroke him, if not he tends to do the scardey flattening himself when we stroke - feel like I am being mean to him!!
He's still not got a wifey & I am really unsure wether to or not, other half isn't keen & I can't decide if we have space in the house for another mouth!

Back