• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unsure...

Right well I'll get straight to it. I took Bella to the vets for her myxomatosis injection not that long ago now and there she had a all-over health check from head to toe like. I was told she is in need of a dental but not sure what that actually is so is there anyone on here that could kindly tell me please along with how it's done, cost etc.. thanks.

Diana xx

If there's anything you don't understand hun you should always ask your vet, they should be only too happy to help :D Also, people can give you an idea of prices, but it varies between vets, so you would need to ask your own vet. :D

Pickle's dental cost around £80. He had a back tooth removed and a few of his spurrs burred.
They will put Bella under GA and basically take the sticking out bits off her her teeth that could cause discomfort.

Pickle's dental cost around £80. He had a back tooth removed and a few of his spurrs burred.
They will put Bella under GA and basically take the sticking out bits off her her teeth that could cause discomfort.

Oh my, how am I supposed to make £80 :shock: Isn't it possible for Bella then to not awaken from going under?

And thanks.

Oh my, how am I supposed to make £80 :shock: Isn't it possible for Bella then to not awaken from going under?

And thanks.

£80 is quite cheap for a dental :? To be honest Diana, she could have a much bigger problem that could cost you 100's.
Is she spayed?

Well yeah I'll have to agree with you there. No she isn't :roll:
Okay so she never has had a GA before. There is always a risk but veterinary medicine is a lot better now and GA for smaller animals has improved.
Why don't you get her spayed and they can do her teeth at the same time. I am SURE they will do a discount :)

Okay so she never has had a GA before. There is always a risk but veterinary medicine is a lot better now and GA for smaller animals has improved.
Why don't you get her spayed and they can do her teeth at the same time. I am SURE they will do a discount :)

Oh right, that has helped my brain calm down a little bit then :lol:

I honestly would like to get her spayed but my mum and sister are very against it for some reason :( How can you be so sure they will discount it?

How urgent is her dental on a scale from 1-10 with 10 being very urgent?

I honestly would like to get her spayed but my mum and sister are very against it for some reason :( How can you be so sure they will discount it?

I am certain because if you get her down on seperate occasions then you are paying for 2 GAs, 2 lots of drugs, 2 visits to the hospital and 2 vet's wages.

I am not a vet and have not examined her so can not say how urgent her teeth are :? However, I would say that if they urgently needed doing you would noticing her not eating and the vet would want them done as soon as possible.

Problem is if you don't get it done, it will only get worse, there is no way it will go away. She may stop eating, which will need more intensive treatment and meds, and cost more...plus she will be in pain :cry:

If you can't afford to pay what will in all honesty be quite a low vet bill you really need to have a good think about it :?

I am certain because if you get her down on seperate occasions then you are paying for 2 GAs, 2 lots of drugs, 2 visits to the hospital and 2 vet's wages.

I am not a vet and have not examined her so can not say how urgent her teeth are :? However, I would say that if they urgently needed doing you would noticing her not eating and the vet would want them done as soon as possible.

Oh right okay, thanks for that.

And don't worry. I have noticed with you saying that that Bella is still eating fine so could that mean she still needs a dental but not a urgent one?

You will need to ask the vet about this directly. Some buns can carry molar spurs with no clinical problems, and for other bunnies it can cause ongoing low-grade pain that could put them at risk of stasis etc. in which case a dental would be more urgent. It would depend entirely on what is wrong, how advanced it is and whether or not she has any other clinical symptoms.
Molar tooth abnormalities can also be associated with tooth root abnormalities which could lead to problems in the future in some cases.
A diet high in hay 90% of her daily diet - will help to control any dental issues. I would go back to your vet for a thorough debriefing.
Spaying is essential for female buns to protect them from uterine/ovarian cancer as they age. It affects roughly 80% of unspayed does over the age of 4 so I suggest you use that bit of science to persuade your mum! :)

You will need to ask the vet about this directly. Some buns can carry molar spurs with no clinical problems, and for other bunnies it can cause ongoing low-grade pain that could put them at risk of stasis etc. in which case a dental would be more urgent. It would depend entirely on what is wrong, how advanced it is and whether or not she has any other clinical symptoms.
Molar tooth abnormalities can also be associated with tooth root abnormalities which could lead to problems in the future in some cases.
A diet high in hay 90% of her daily diet - will help to control any dental issues. I would go back to your vet for a thorough debriefing.
Spaying is essential for female buns to protect them from uterine/ovarian cancer as they age. It affects roughly 80% of unspayed does over the age of 4 so I suggest you use that bit of science to persuade your mum! :)

Oh right okay, I fully understand and I will ask my vets about that.

Haha, I'll give it a go!

I've only got my own experience hun which was Joey having his incisors out which was a straightforward procedure not sure with cost cos the insurance paid for some of it but wasn't too drastic:wave:

Why don't you ask them why they are against it, and explain why it needs to be done :)

You really need to take your bunny to a vet and ask them about how urgent the dental is. But, even if the vet has a look and the spurs don't seem to be causing a problem today, they could soon become a problem, and the only way you'd know is if bella stopped eating/pooping, and by then she is in stasis and could get very poorly very quickly. So it's best to get it done as soon as you can manage it :D

Pringle gets a dental every 6-8weeks. He goes under GA and gets his trimmed down, his normally ranges between £60-90 depends how bad his are. Pringle can be so good at hiding it though, he will still eat, poo fine etc, i just seem to sense it at near his 8weeks i get him checked.

Pringle got neutered when he was in getting his teeth done and they gave me a discount as it was only one GA they mainly charged for the neuter but added a little on for the teeth, my vets are very good with me though.

I would reccomend getting them done asap as like others have said they will only get worse then Bella will need a longer GA and it will be more risky for her and cost more.
I would try save as much as you can, or ask your mum/ dad to help you out or even give you so much a week £5 or that to go towards vets. Not trying to scare you but it does only get worse. I think most of my wages go on the vets. and some bills have been a few hundred pound. And Pringle and Patch are currently on long-term medication which is costing me a few pound every week, Patch is currently in for check-ups every tuesday and has been for past couple of months. Its all the small things too that add up :).

Just to make you aware. Hope Bella is ok, and i advise on the spaying too, as she may get problems from not being spayed which will cost more money than a dental xx

EDIT- For the part im saying about your mum and dad giving you money, of course you would do dishes, or car washing or that ;). Or you could get yourself a wee job, delivering catelogues (betterware, avon for example) you have to be 16 but i done it when i was younger and my mum signed up for it, i just done the job, got money, delivered catelogues etc. Maybe worth looking into :)

Last edited:
Diana, what vets are you with?

My vets aren't too far away from you (Gamston Vets 4 Pets, near West Bridgford) and they charge about £20 for a dental using gas.

Amber's dental was £60 for her dental.

I took her to the vets as one day i noticed she didn't eat her hay or pellets (but ate veg and treats) and then the day after she wouldn't eat anything so i marched her to the vets. My advice would be to get them done for your bun as it leads to other problems that can be more difficult to sort out.

Check your bun isn't dribbling, dropping her food or has any discharge for nose or eyes as these are signs of dental problems. BUT if your vet has said she has a problems it's best to do it before you see these symptoms

Last edited:
Back