• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freshly cut Hay.......?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ive just phoned up a farm and asked if they had any hay in and they said that they have just got some in but it cant be fed to horses for a few weeks as its just been cut and it can cause colic in horses but its fine for rabbits?

Is this true? Can i feed it to them and if not how long should i wait?

well.. im not 100% on this but me and hetty went over the field where theyd cut hay and scooped up the leftovers :)oops::lol:) as it lovely and green and all our buns have been fine and theyve been scoffing it!

Personally I would say that in the case of horses or rabbits if they are used to a bit of green (ie grass) then it shouldn't be a problem. I remember asking this of a friend who told me her aunt and uncle who are farmers always feed the fresh cut hay to their horses.

This is just my opinion though - perhaps an expert will tell me differently.

I heard somewhere the hay had to sit for about 6months before it was safe for rabbits to eat :?. Maybe im making this up but thought id mention just in case x

I've been feeding freshly cut hay and it is a case of virtually nothing left in trays. There was a thread like this last year and it was decided fresh hay as long as it is dry is good.

Well i went and got some, its the same as ive always had, green, sweet smelling and dry :)
Its more of a soft hay than the stalky one i had before and the buns like it much better :D Ive just given them double today than i normally have to :shock:Thank goodness its cheap :D

I heard somewhere the hay had to sit for about 6months before it was safe for rabbits to eat :?. Maybe im making this up but thought id mention just in case x

I don't think that is true :? We don't wait 6 months to feed the horses :?
I hope it isn't true anyway!

Back