• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

allen&page natural rabbit?

breeze

Mama Doe
could anyone tell me if these pellets are ok?im currently on sweet meadow but been told this is rubbish so been told to try them on these pellets.do they have a good fibre content?
thanks

They have a good fibre content but many Rabbits refuse point blank to eat them as they are less palatable than other pellets eg Science Selective or Burgess Excel.

IMO they are unsuitable for elderly or health compromised Rabbits who tend to loose condition on them.

Like Jane has said the fibre content is good but our rabbit started to lose weight on them even though he was perfectly healthy, so he now has Science Selective.

My buns didnt do very well on them - Lola hadf stasis twice whilst on them - but I cant say this was to do with the A&P.

SS is well worth the extra cash IMHO. No wastage either!

I have all my rabbits, old and young, on Allen & Page Breeder/Grower Rabbit Pellets (or Spiller High Protein Pellets which are very similar) as that seems to keep them in better condition than the Natural Rabbit Pellets.

Vera

All my 8 rabbits are doing great on them, and we have over 100 rabbits at the rescue on them too.
I also agree that older rabbits seem to do better on SS though.

Our buns went from p@h pellets to A&P and were fine (all our buns are healthy and between 10months-2.5 yrs old). They also did very well on a non-pellet diet so A&P is just a treat for them really.

I know if they had the choice they would love some other pellet food as its defiantly more tasty hehe :D Like me chosing a nice chocolate muffin over a tin of sweetcorn haha

hey if you see one of my first posts on here you will see that one of my bunny's GIZMO has a very sensitive stomach from say 10wks old and couldn't even eat fresh grass, or any veg etc without over producing the cecotropes [the ones they eat] and they stank :( i took him to the vets loads and spent a fortune in bills with no answers. Gizmo was very sick and then a few people on here told me about Allen & Page and he has been on it ever since. He can now eat pretty much anything [just over 1year old now] just not in large quantities.... it turns out he can't handle Alfa Alfa ingreidents and needs a very high fibre diet which allen and page is... .also another bonus it is super because it cost about £8.00 for a 20kg bag :D
My other bunny YOSHI won't touch it but they don't live together anyway as they fight bad so they both have there own diet. :roll:
Just out of interest why are you enquiring about the high fibre? does your bun have trouble too :shock:

No problems just told that a high fibre diet is better.has anybody else heard bad reports of sweet meadow?

Ive had my buns on A&P for a year now and it cleared up Fudges dodgy tummy problems but im now finding 2 of my buns losing condition so are now on a mix of pellets (A&P, SS mature, SS, Excel Oregano, Excel Mature and Soon to be Oxbow as there main pellet with less Excel, and its only a tablespoon a day they get :D)

It is a good pellet but not for all buns, try it a see who they get on with it :wave:

I had all my buns on A+P Natural Pellets from September last year until a few weeks ago... my 2 giants both lost over 1kg of weight each on these pellets so ive now chaged all my kids onto Science Selective :)

Glad to here you haven't had any problems and it is just a case of wanting a high fibre food if that is the case [and no problem with alfa alfa then excel or sceince selective both have quite high fibre content... but as i said gizmo can't have alfa alfa so he is on allen and page.
gizmo has just been to the vets today and his diet is as follows:

allen & page pellets
Meadow hay unlimited amounts
barley cane [mixed grass bag-no alfa alfa]
fruit/veg [small amounts daily]
the odd treat
and a spoonfull of oats [another good way to get fibre into them]

The vet weighed Gizmo today as he too has been on allen & page for just over a year [and obviously he was loosing weight when he was poorly before he was on allen and page]
The vet said he is VERY healthy and a good weight at 2.3kg. his coat is in good condition and his teeth etc are all fine

Like i said before my other bun Yoshi won't touch the stuff so he has excel but gizmo is doing great on it.... I don't know much about the hay you are on about but as i said i stick to fresh meadow hay from a equestrian shop and they both do fine on that. :) Hope this helps a bit

my three have allen and page natural pellets.. they are all really well on them.

They started years ago on excel pellets, then i changed them to SS, then onto A&P. They did prefer SS at first but did eat the A&P and after slowly changing them over onto A&P.. My lot had a few bouts of bloat but after being on A&P and lots of hay ive had very few problems.. their poos are alot bigger too :D

A&P pellets are the best IMO. True it can be tricky to convince rabbits that have been used to sweet feedstuff to eat them, but once they do they eat them eagerly. I used to give in and feed SS to rabbits in poorer condition but the deterioration of the quality of their poo means that I am now weaning them all back onto A&P. A few remain resistant but I am persevering. Those nasty small black poos that SS give them can not be healthy. So far I'm down from 3 sacks of SS a week to 1. Saving some money too, that I can spend on extra veg instead. Green veg is the way to put condition on IMO.

My giant girl is a dental bun, and she can't eat them due to their hardness. My giant lad has gone off them now and isn't eating them, so I'm in the middle of changing them to excel, which they both go mad for right now.

They're good pellets, if your buns eat them! :wave:

Back