• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why bond opposite sex rabbits?

lunar6769

Alpha Buck
Hello.
Hope this isn't a daft question but why do the rescues say that the males need a female companion and vice versa? Is it not possible to bond 2 males? If it is possible, is it less successful?
Thank you.

Male/female is probarbly the easiest to bond, some male/female is like love at first sight.
Male/Male works just is a little harder. Female/Female are harder also but ive never done female/female, i think its harder than male/male!!

I have a bonded male and female and a bonded male and male :D My boy/girl pair got on great where as my boys took to each other slowly and both wanted to be the domanant one :roll:

It does work though :wave:

Two of my male buns got along to well I almost took a heart attack, boys and girls need to be spayed though before they can bond or it's just murder:shock: But my two boys bonded without even a bite :lol: and my group of girls live very well together :)

Male/Female bonds tend to be easier, however same sex pairings can work.

I have a bonded group of 4- all girls.

There are no hard and fast rules but it is generally thought that male/female gives the best long term bonding (not necessarily the easiest to bond first off though!) with less risk of disagreements and fights at a later date.

Neutered male-male bonds are very possible (never unneutered though), but they do tend to be a little riskier and there is a higher risk of two males fighting with any move/strange smell/operation/anything else that unsettles them. If they do fall out for whatever reason it is more likely to be serious and less likely to result in a successful rebond. That's not to say it's always the case of course, it's just that it's generally felt to be more likely.

So it's not impossible, it's just not generally the first choice option for those reasons :)

Thank you all for your considered replies.

I have e-mailed the RSPCA locally about a girlfriend for Fluffy so will have to wait and see.

I do not know much about bonding but something to consider is that brothers and sisters are easier to bond in same gender pairs or groups. I think it is because they already know each others scent. Oh, obviously they have to be spayed/neutered. I have 2 brothers bonded and 3 of their sisters in a group and they get on fine in thier hutches. I put all 5 outside together and normally they are fine, sometimes there is a little dominance humping but never vicious fights. Hope this helps

I have just got 4 9 week old buns which are all brothers and sisters im just waiting to have there sex comfirmed. i think i have 2 of each but i would like to hope they will all live happy together once i have had them all done.

It's to do with competition. Two males will compete for top status, and two females are more likely to come to blows over sharing a bed area. A male and a female however have no natural inclination to fight each other, and once neutered mating is ruled out too, so they have less to argue over :)

Back