• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

safe bark?

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone have a link to any previous posts regarding safe bark for rabbits to munch on?
eric does eat hay but he loves to chew any cardboard he can get his paws on - and paper - so i wondered if i could tempt him with a more 'raw state' goody:D

Apple bark is loved by our rabbits and now the maple tree has taken a good stripping so that is a no-bunny area now lol Willow and bamboo was popular with our guys too :)

Apple bark is loved by our rabbits and now the maple tree has taken a good stripping so that is a no-bunny area now lol Willow and bamboo was popular with our guys too :)

i know they like apple bark - rare round 'ere tho with the amount of nibby wild rabbits we have:lol: we have a huge tree behind the hedge but i think its oak not maple (best double check as i've just googled the leaves and they're quite similar - or am i just denser than the tree:oops:)
annoying really cos i live in quite a rural area but so many of the gardens are those sit on mower perfection places that i get the feeling a lot of people just don't appreciate the natural beauty and have it removed by their gardeners:?

How about grabbing some apple branches from where the wild buns can't reach hehe ;) Maple leaves are quite different from oak :oops: hehe definatly wouldn't want to confuse them though as oak is poisonous (or at least bad for them) lol.

maple: (dreamtime image not my own)
1145821933432C7c.jpg

oak: (gvnc image not my own)
White-oak-leaf.jpg

How about grabbing some apple branches from where the wild buns can't reach hehe ;) Maple leaves are quite different from oak :oops: hehe definatly wouldn't want to confuse them though as oak is poisonous (or at least bad for them) lol.

maple: (dreamtime image not my own)
1145821933432C7c.jpg

oak: (gvnc image not my own)
White-oak-leaf.jpg

thank you - thats really helpful:wave: off to do some tree climbing later:D

Yep Oak is poisonous and i'd avoid beech and holly too.

Apple, pear, hazel and willow are the commonest safe ones. Hazel has flat furry leaves and is often along the hedgerows, at this time of the year the hazelnuts are ripening which makes it easy to identify - my buns love hazel! :D
http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/tree_gallery/hazel/hazel.html
Willow grows everywhere too!
West Wales Willows does willow sticks for buns and grow willow too - if you gave them a call they might be able to cut some fresh willow pieces for you?
http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/

Yep Oak is poisonous and i'd avoid beech and holly too.

Apple, pear, hazel and willow are the commonest safe ones. Hazel has flat furry leaves and is often along the hedgerows, at this time of the year the hazelnuts are ripening which makes it easy to identify - my buns love hazel! :D
http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/tree_gallery/hazel/hazel.html
Willow grows everywhere too!
West Wales Willows does willow sticks for buns and grow willow too - if you gave them a call they might be able to cut some fresh willow pieces for you?
http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/

thank you:D oddly enough i was looking thro the willow warren 'shop' yesterday so i'll see if i can get fresh from them. he's got dried sticks and chunks but he seems to love shredding cardboard - hence me thinking a strip of bark might appeal to him.

thank you:D oddly enough i was looking thro the willow warren 'shop' yesterday so i'll see if i can get fresh from them. he's got dried sticks and chunks but he seems to love shredding cardboard - hence me thinking a strip of bark might appeal to him.

I'd ask them if they have any fresh willow bits? They do standard willow toys and bundles but also grow willow and make their own toys so might have some off cuts lying around? I've had a few fresh bits off them before and my buns stripped them bare in one evening. :D

Back