• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hi everyone

amyandmillie

Young Bun
I am new, i have had rabbits my whole life growing up but haven't since leaving home, i now have 3 children and i really wanted a rabbit but wouldn't get one until we had grass in our garden, so with that complete we decided to get a rabbit, my 5 year old said she must have a boy, but from experience i know boys are cleaner and more friendlier so we have a boy called millie #9sssssh don't tell my daughter)
Anyway my Brother in law has a house rabbit, he lives in a tiny flat with 2 xats already and no garden, when i got my rabbit he said it was cruel to keep him outside, something i completely disagree with
Millie has a good size hutch with the door left open all day and she can come and go as she pleases, she gets to graze and lie in the sunshine or shade and go in her hutch whenever she wants (not very often really) in winter the cage will be covered and insulated, i would move her in the garage but i have a tumble dryer in there and not sure if this would be good on her heath.

As you can see i seem to flip between he and she st the moment lol, everytime i say he my daughter corrects me haha

here is millie

DSCF1008.jpg

DSCF1007.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

awwwww awwwww awwww awwwww :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

your not wrong to keep your bunny outside... many people beleive its more natural and better for a bunny.. some of us are selfish and want our bunnies in the house with us

either way suits them :D long as they have plenty of space and a loving mom who cares where they live if they binky with happiness :love::love:

she has not binky yet, but she is new to our home and getting use to it,
all my rabbits in the past have done it, so so cute.
thats where they do the crazy leg flip isn't it?

she may have done it when i am out though as when i am there so are the kids and she is just getting use to them

welcome to RU :wave:

Outside and inside buns are both fine as long as they have the right food, housing, exercise and fun (toys and stuff). They also need a bunny friend. Have you thought about getting company for Millie?

Emma

i think eeping bunnys outside is most natural but some people can provide more intereaction and more care indoors wth more room i dont think either is "wrong" i personally keep my bunnys outdoors in 6ft hutches with free reign of garden. i have runs for when im not there but i prefer to see them free range than in a cage even tho i know i have the risk of predators i wiegh this up with my wnat of tehm to have anatrual as possible lifestyle.

i agree that all bunnys should ahve a freind i think it would be nice to get a playmate... i would suggest a spayed female to go with your boy.if he isnt already neutered i would do this first. then bond them in a neutral area(or get a local rescue to doit) and then you can have a happy couple. i find my buns are much more charactorful and happy with a freind to snuggle with.

an extra precaution outdoors with rabbits is the weather.. in summer iced bottles to lie next to in winter extra thick layers of hay in rain covers over hutch and runs. i also think that predators area consideration so making sure that hutches have bolts rather than flip catches etc is a must... and if you have foxes around padlocks too.

while all rabbits are suceptable it is even more important for an outdoors bunny to ensure myxi is kept up to date with 6monthly injections done on time and that fly protection is maximised ie clean out litter trays daily, fly nets if particularly bad ocer hutches in summer... or rear gaurd your buns :) ps millie is gorgeous! lol

thank you everyone for your help,
i am considering getting a friend for him, if its better for him then definalty, just need to talk to hubby about it, i won't need a bigger cage as mine os a good size and they are out all day

i live in jersey channel islands so we have no foxes, and our garden is very enclosed so nothing can get it x

thank you everyone for your help,
i am considering getting a friend for him, if its better for him then definalty, just need to talk to hubby about it, i won't need a bigger cage as mine os a good size and they are out all day

i live in jersey channel islands so we have no foxes, and our garden is very enclosed so nothing can get it x

:wave: Its nice to see another member from Jersey :)

Welcome to the forum x

I might be sounding a bit dim here but I never knew that there were no foxes on the Channel Islands!:lol: That's one less worry for you then. Millie looks lovely and welcome to the forum :wave:

Back