• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to use a syringe?

Debster

Mama Doe
Hiya,

My vet has given me Baytril today to clear up Pickle's snuffles and I have to use a syringe to put it in his mouth. This is a first for both of us, and so far I still haven't managed to get him to take it :oops:

I've tried wrapping a towel around Pickle and holding him between my legs on the floor, but he keeps kicking and wriggling away (he's a bit of a squirmer anyway) and then he kept biting the towel (and me) so I couldn't get the syringe in his mouth. I was worried he was getting too stressed, so I've let him go for a minute. I wondered if anyone has any tips on how I can make it a bit easier?

My Dad's popping over in a bit and he's going to try and help me hold him, its seems a bit difficult to do if there's only one of you!

im sneaky with Baytril.. i hide it in food :oops::oops:

from what i understand (and amazingly i havent choked Alvin) you need to lift the one lip and put the syringe behind the front teeth pointing slightly back and very slowly plunge the plunger while hopefully your bunny isnt fighting kicking and spitting out the drugs you are trying to get into them...

i cant get the towel method to work, it really does help having a 2nd pair of hands tho :D

and i dont know if ive done it right but ive sat on the floor with my bunny facing me sort of sitting up against my legs restrained under his front legs with one hand while the other hand sticks the syringe in the gob.... not an easy task thats for sure

the vet nurse showed me to clamp the bun between my legs and lean over to administer the syringe.. can i master that nope :lol::lol:

good luck :D

I used to hide it in food.....a sugarsnap pea was good as you can slit the top, syringe the meds in to the pea then feed bunster.

You know I never even thought to hide it in food, I guess as long as they swallow it, it doesn't matter what it goes down with.

Managed to do it with a second pair of hands and Pickle gobbled down the liquid :D Hopefully it might be a bit easier the second time!

Thanks for the advice, this forum really is invaluable!

I managed to give Baytril to my bunny, Pickle, by placing him on a towel on the table, with his back to my tummy so he doesnt fall off.. and then just get him from the side with the syringe!!

I tried hiding it in food, but he is too clever for that!!! I tried being nice and tried him being on the floor, but he is too wriggly - the table is best as he is nervous up so high.

I get a bun and sit down with them on my lap, with their head facing forward and their bums against my belly. Then I fold myself forward over them so there secure from jumping around and hold around their front (chest area) with my left hand, and can prop there heads up with my fingers if i need to, then give the panacur/baytril with my right hand. The syringe fits into their mouths easily as they have a gap behind their front teeth so just squirt it through there :) Ive not met a bun who spits out their meds so far but if you keep their heads slightly liften this should stop this and maybe give them a little bit of veg after always keeps them sweet and ensures its all gone down ;)

(much easier to worm these little animals rather than horses haha darn beasts can put their heads to high haha)

We always hide the baytril in juice as I don't think it tastes very nice! A bit of fresh pineapply juice in the syringe first, then the baytril and then a bit more juice ... that normally helps!

I have never had success with hiding Baytril in food as the taste is not nice. Saying that you may have success with some mashed banana or grated carrot.

I have always sat them on the kitchen table on a towel, held them still and leant over to stop upward movement then popped it in their mouths - I agree they tend to swallow it rather than spit it out like cats but an upward tilt of the head and a little throat massage ensures its swallowed rather than held and dribbled out! A treat after helps it all go down nicely.

I'm afraid to say I would rather worm a horse anyday! But my horse could detect medicine in his food at 100 paces so I had to hide his painkillers in a wholemeal honey sandwich:roll:

Back