• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive bunny when i went away for weekend!!

Nessa123

New Kit
Hi My nearly 6 month old netherland dwarf/lionhead, was fine until i went away for the weekend!! My Husband was looking after him whilst i was away, but the first morning when id gone, he growled at my husband and went to go and lunge at him twice, especially when he went to open up his hatch to let him go down to the run below, he did this a couple of times during i was away, when i came back i took over, but he did the same to me!! especially when i put his food bowl down on the hutch floor and when i went to open up his hatch, its a new hutch, as i invested in a much bigger one with a run underneath, im just wondering if he's protecting his favourite spot which is on top of the hatch opening??? he's not neutered yet, but we are considering it now!!! or is he getting dominant?? im a bit scared to put my hand to far in the hutch now just incase i get a nasty bite!! help!!
P.s do you think its because i went away? and someone different fed him?? even though my husband has fed him before hmmmmm??

Last edited:
Hi My nearly 6 month old netherland dwarf/lionhead, was fine until i went away for the weekend!! My Husband was looking after him whilst i was away, but the first morning when id gone, he growled at my husband and went to go and lunge at him twice, especially when he went to open up his hatch to let him go down to the run below, he did this a couple of times during i was away, when i came back i took over, but he did the same to me!! especially when i put his food bowl down on the hutch floor and when i went to open up his hatch, its a new hutch, as i invested in a much bigger one with a run underneath, im just wondering if he's protecting his favourite spot which is on top of the hatch opening??? he's not neutered yet, but we are considering it now!!! or is he getting dominant?? im a bit scared to put my hand to far in the hutch now just incase i get a nasty bite!! help!!
P.s do you think its because i went away? and someone different fed him?? even though my husband has fed him before hmmmmm??

Environmental change can trigger hormonal responses. I expect it is a combination of hormones in an entire buck and behavioural changes due to upset - sort of one triggering the other, and is now being fuelled by your responses - learned response.
He needs neutering first. I expect your absence and your husband taking over may have triggered his hormones....male buns can sense male human hormones, this may have felt like more of a threat. All buns are territorial to some extent and in unneuetered buns this is more pronounced. Following this, your fear and responses have shown him that by being aggressive he can get the desired result - you out of his space! That it works! You have effectively taught him to continue this behaviour - sorry, that's not a criticism - more a course of events, i'd be nervous of an aggressive rabbit too!
I would get him neutered, that way he can have a neutered wifey one day too for companionship as all buns need companionship ;)
I would avoid invading his territory too much when he is in it as well, perhaps wait until he is in his run to clean or add food etc...if you do have to put your hand into his hutch then I would distract him with something nice to eat before you go in and if he is aggressive then stand your ground (but put a glove on just incase! ) It could just be lungeing - threat in which case not all buns follow through, or he could mean business. Good luck :)
Neutering should help a lot.

Environmental change can trigger hormonal responses. I expect it is a combination of hormones in an entire buck and behavioural changes due to upset - sort of one triggering the other, and is now being fuelled by your responses - learned response.
He needs neutering first. I expect your absence and your husband taking over may have triggered his hormones....male buns can sense male human hormones, this may have felt like more of a threat. All buns are territorial to some extent and in unneuetered buns this is more pronounced. Following this, your fear and responses have shown him that by being aggressive he can get the desired result - you out of his space! That it works! You have effectively taught him to continue this behaviour - sorry, that's not a criticism - more a course of events, i'd be nervous of an aggressive rabbit too!
I would get him neutered, that way he can have a neutered wifey one day too for companionship as all buns need companionship ;)
I would avoid invading his territory too much when he is in it as well, perhaps wait until he is in his run to clean or add food etc...if you do have to put your hand into his hutch then I would distract him with something nice to eat before you go in and if he is aggressive then stand your ground (but put a glove on just incase! ) It could just be lungeing - threat in which case not all buns follow through, or he could mean business. Good luck :)
Neutering should help a lot.
Hi Thank you for your advise, im not sure if im writing this in the right place!!! im new to this lovely forum, but yes i will definitly get him neutered i think as if it does calm him down i will enjoy him more, as i did before he got aggressive!!, he's never been a bunny who likes being held or picked up, as most dont im sure!!, and he only likes strokes when HE wants too, but not for long, he's quite a character and i love him to bits, he brings a smile to my face when i see him run about in the garden jumping and flicking about, anyhow thanks again for the advise and yeah ill try and keep my hand outta the hutch whilst Oscar is occupying it!!

Here's something that happened to my rabbit:
He was always hiding int he corners and didn't eat or come out for a while. When he did, we gave him a small box to play with. He threw it in the air.:lol: That was quite agressive...... But the next day, he was even nicer!

What you should do:
It's mating season, if it's a male, it should be neutered. :)

Rabbit Hugs and bunny kisses,

my aggresive giant bunny

:(please can anyone help. i have owned winston for a year now and his behavior seems to be getting worse. i had him neutered about 6 months ago because he was lunging at me with the intent to bite. he's always known kindness and has a wonderful home living next door to my other neutered male conti in our garden shed. but unfortunately i can hardly put my hand in to feed him now. also today i experienced a nasty bite from him which i fear may have needed stiches if i didn't have a thick fleece on. i am worried he will really hurt us one day and don't know what to do for the best.

It could be his way of letting you know he didn't like you going away!I had a bun once who went off his food whenever my hubby was away on business.B has been known to ignore me for a few days when we've been away.

:(please can anyone help. i have owned winston for a year now and his behavior seems to be getting worse. i had him neutered about 6 months ago because he was lunging at me with the intent to bite. he's always known kindness and has a wonderful home living next door to my other neutered male conti in our garden shed. but unfortunately i can hardly put my hand in to feed him now. also today i experienced a nasty bite from him which i fear may have needed stiches if i didn't have a thick fleece on. i am worried he will really hurt us one day and don't know what to do for the best.

Does the aggression only happen when you are reaching into his shed?

Back