• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed - Does my Rabbit need company

HappyHoppy

New Kit
Hi

I am am new to this forum & to posting threads so hope you forgive any mistakes I make.

My Rabbit Owen is now 5 & is un-neutered, up until November he had a guinea pig friend Max who died.

He was really quite over the winter & did not come to life until mid April, in June he developed rabbit mange & although I took him to the vets & got it treated he developed a hair ball in his tummy a couple of weeks ago & had to be operated on.

Although he is fine now, I work during the day & I worry that the cause of all this is he misses the company.

Can anybody advise me on whether they think he needs the company of a neutered male/female rabbit?

It sounds like he could benefit from having a spayed female friend, but ideally for that he would also need to be neutered by a rabbit savvy vet. That would be the easiest pairing.

And just to add, in the hands of a bunny savvy vet, neutering at his age should be nore more risky than getting him done young :D

And also if you didn't get him neutered and paired him, he would most likely get hormonal and excited and pester his poor partner silly!!

Yes I too would neuter him and get him a neutered female companion. Good rabbit rescues will let him choose and will even sometimes bond for you. :D

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to my vet about getting him neutered & find a rabbit rescue centre in Sussex.:)

Back