• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spoiling after op!

Danielle84

Mama Doe
:wave:

Hi just wanted some advice really. I'm just about to pick Timmy up from the vets after his castration today, i just wondered what more i could do to make him more comfortable? I have got him a soft little bed to lie in and he's got the usual supply of fresh water, hay and food. We will obviously be very gentle when we collect him and won't pick him up too much until he's ready, but is there anything else we can do?

Just feel so bad for the little fella! Been worried about him all day even though i called and they said he's ok! :love:

I think just make sure you keep him warm (shouldn't be a problem at the mo!) and quiet. You might be surprised at how well he is. My vet told me to keep my bun Bertie quiet and cage rest for the first day or so... which proved rather difficult as he was so full of beans! You would never have known he had had an op.

I think you are doing all the right things, clean soft bed, hay and water and some yummy veg will be just the thing I reckon.

Hope he's ok. :D

I wanted Lloyd to be as comfy as possible, too, but he refused! He binkied his brains out as soon as he got home! All I could think was "Ouch!".
I could NOT keep him settled-he just went nuts (hehehe pardon the pun!)
I was so worried but luckily he healed up fine.

Thank you!
He is home now and is very quiet, he's found himself a little dark corner and is looking drowsy bless him! I have offered some basil and parsley which he has taken :D

Thank you for all the advice! Gotta take him in for an antibiotics injection tomorrow! Glad it's done now though, hopefully no more humping my legs :lol: (although i realise this may take a few weeks to calm down :roll:)...as long as he is ok though :love:

Glad Timmy is home and ok. It's a good sign if he has eaten the basil and parsley. Keep tempting him and make sure he's drinking and pooing ok. I am sure he will perk up a bit tomorrow.

Hope Eric is ok.

When will you be able to collect eric? Hope he is alright!

Timmy has been pooing and eating small amounts of herbs and hay, but hasn't touched his dry food. He is also sleeping alot which he doesn't usually do! He's off to the vets this afternoon for antibiotics injection, but his "area" looks bruised :(

I will explain all this to the vet nurse but can't help but worry about him!

He did do about 100 poo's (on the sofa :roll:!!!!) last night, but we let him off as we were just glad that he did some!

Glad he is well. I have to take Smudge in for his op in a week and am sooo worried about him - he has to live outside as my hubby won't have him in as he is severely allergic - but I am on half term - so will be spending more time with him than usual. Bless.

When will you be able to collect eric? Hope he is alright!

Timmy has been pooing and eating small amounts of herbs and hay, but hasn't touched his dry food. He is also sleeping alot which he doesn't usually do! He's off to the vets this afternoon for antibiotics injection, but his "area" looks bruised :(

I will explain all this to the vet nurse but can't help but worry about him!

He did do about 100 poo's (on the sofa :roll:!!!!) last night, but we let him off as we were just glad that he did some!

lovely lovely poo:lol:
i finally collected eric yesterday at about 4. he still hadn't poo'd but they were happy with him and the vets know i'm 'in tune' with eric. within 15 mins of being home we had poo:D (small and dark but that was a huge relief). he doesn't seem as boisterous at the mo but he's probably a bit tender and his appetite is increasing (not eating as much as usual yet but at least he's hay munching so that should keep things moving). i just have to be careful as they had to use external stitches on him too - i've been trying to cop a look all morning but he likes to keep his bits private:roll:
we have to go back on friday for a check up and weigh in then again next friday for stitches removal - unless he's removed them himself then she can just check its all ok.

how's timmy today?

stressful trying to 'do the right thing' ain't it?:(

I know! It's scary how they can go downhill so quickly!

Glad Eric has poo'd :p did they give him a lampshade to stop him chewing his stitches? (not sure if they do that for rabbits or might be cats and dogs!)

How big is Eric? I keep checking Timmy's bits :oops: just to make sure there's nothing unusual and to make sure it's clean (i'm probably being paranoid), but i just approach him at the front and scoop him up to look, he doesn't seem to mind and it's quite easy lifting him as he's tiny.

He seems ok, he has just done a huge binky around the room lol but has strangely started chewing the wallpaper which he didn't do before! Oh and also trying to dig the brand new soft comfy bed i got him :lol: naughty boy, but i wouldn't have him any different!

Are there any pics of Eric on here?

did they give him a lampshade to stop him chewing his stitches? (not sure if they do that for rabbits or might be cats and dogs!)

Just as a word of warning: cones should only be fitted to rabbits when absolutely necessary....and if so be taken off for a few hours a day whilst supervised if bunny wants to pull stitches. Buns can't reach their caecotrophs if wearing one, or easily access a bowl/bottle of water. I know they have to be used sometimes but should be used with caution. :D
If possible a tight abdominal wrap is the preferred choice I understand.

I know! It's scary how they can go downhill so quickly!

Glad Eric has poo'd :p did they give him a lampshade to stop him chewing his stitches? (not sure if they do that for rabbits or might be cats and dogs!)

How big is Eric? I keep checking Timmy's bits :oops: just to make sure there's nothing unusual and to make sure it's clean (i'm probably being paranoid), but i just approach him at the front and scoop him up to look, he doesn't seem to mind and it's quite easy lifting him as he's tiny.

He seems ok, he has just done a huge binky around the room lol but has strangely started chewing the wallpaper which he didn't do before! Oh and also trying to dig the brand new soft comfy bed i got him :lol: naughty boy, but i wouldn't have him any different!

Are there any pics of Eric on here?

noooooo - i wouldn't think a cone would be a good idea on a rabbit. maybe in extreme circumstances but if the daft monkey wants to pick his stitches out he'll just end up back at the vet:roll: she said it was unusual they'd had to use external sutures but eric's different:lol:

by how big is eric do you mean breed or bits? (sorry - asking how big he is then mentioning timmy's bits has confused me:oops:). he's a netherland dwarf........ he's 7 months old now (late being castrated due to previous health problems - i wouldn't have risked it) and he doesn't look tiny to me but i suppose he is:?

i ought to check his bits soon - when he's finished eating.

naughty timmy developing bad habits he hadn't had previously:lol: maybe he was led astray whilst at the vets:D

x
pictures of eric? er........probably too many:oops:

Just as a word of warning: cones should only be fitted to rabbits when absolutely necessary....and if so be taken off for a few hours a day whilst supervised if bunny wants to pull stitches. Buns can't reach their caecotrophs if wearing one, or easily access a bowl/bottle of water. I know they have to be used sometimes but should be used with caution. :D
If possible a tight abdominal wrap is the preferred choice I understand.

sorry, only just read this and i'd already posted above but not in such detail:D if he chews he gets sore and a return to the vets:p

I meant how big is he in general to see how easy it might be to pick him up.

The question about the cone was just a query.

I meant how big is he in general to see how easy it might be to pick him up.

The question about the cone was just a query.

he's easy enough to pick up - when HE wants to be. has timmy had external stitches? does he seem to be grooming a lot?

he's easy enough to pick up - when HE wants to be. has timmy had external stitches? does he seem to be grooming a lot?

Timmy had the dissovable (can't spell!) stitches, i'm not sure if they are external :oops: you can see them a little, but yeah he does seem to be grooming alot!! Maybe he's wondering where they went :lol: awww! Must be strange though...one minute they're there, the next...gone!

Do you have any other rabbits or are you considering bonding eric?

Timmy had the dissovable (can't spell!) stitches, i'm not sure if they are external :oops: you can see them a little, but yeah he does seem to be grooming alot!! Maybe he's wondering where they went :lol: awww! Must be strange though...one minute they're there, the next...gone!

Do you have any other rabbits or are you considering bonding eric?

:lol: like one day your purse is crammed with money and the next its all gone! (mine's usually full of any smaller denominations than 10p tho:?)

i don't have any other rabbits at present - i never meant to get eric (he just needed me:love:) so i would hope one day to rehome more but thats not possible at the moment:( mind you, eric is a happy little chappie being an only bun so maybe i'd try bonding but wouldn't get my hopes up too much as it would be his decision.

Back