• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed?

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Hi all

Was just wondering if my little Jose is a nethie or not? P@H said he was, but he has longer ears and a more pointy face than the nethie pics ive seen??

Jose4.jpg

Jose5.jpg

Jose1.jpg

Sorry the pics arent very good - he doesnt sit still very often lol

You'll have a better idea when he is fully grown.

When you see a typical nethie you have to remember that is going to be close to show quality, and that you can get rabbits who have nethie parentage but look nothing like them (due to thrown backs, etc), of which I have several. He could be a nethie, from nethie parents, but I wouldn't trust P@H because these places say they are the smallest breeds and always a 'dwarf' (unless its a giant) so people don't think they get too big and get put off.

i dont mind how big he gets or what he ends up looking like - he'll always be my little man :D

Just wanted to know so i know, you know? lol

They're fully grown about 6-8 months.

Also a real show-quality nethie is supposed to have a dwarf gene which makes them the small shape and short ears, the gene is dominant, and a rabbit with a double dwarf gene (I believe its called peanut in English) rarely grows up sadly.. which means the show-rabbits usually have only one dwarf gene, but this also means that occasionally a kit is born without the dwarf gene.
These may be a bit larger and have longer ears than a "show quality" Nethie.
You very rarely find a show-quality rabbit in a pet store, there are breeders (unfortunately) who deliver the kits they don't think are suitable for show to a pet store and keeps the "good" ones for themselves. The other pet shop bunnies may come from backyard breeders or people with a random litter, who don't really think much of show quality at all. It doesn't have to mean the rabbit is mixbred, they just stray from the standard a little.

he looks nethie, rosie seemed to have big ears when i first got her but she grew into her self infact she looked more like a squirrel, sometimes still does:lol:

yes she had a pointed face too bless her :lol: i choose her because she was being left out by her littermates and sat on her own with her own food bowl, she was the only brown bun, i felt sorry for her
now we think maybe she was bossy :lol: and wanted a food bowl to herself :lol:

:love: but i love her to bits and soo glad i choose her:love:

Back