• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harness for a rabbit

lunar6769

Alpha Buck
Hello,
Does anyone have any advice on a harness for a small rabbit? Anyone used them successfully?
We have a garden open to woodland. It is not suitable for a run other than the 10ft square fenced space with big hutch that Fluffy lives in now.
We have been thinking of a harness with an extendable lead so that he can run on our bit of grass safely for a change of scenery.

Thank you.

I don't think you should use an extendable lead because you always need to be relatively close to your bunny in case they get into difficulties and the pull when they get to the end of the lead may damage them..

Walking a bun is not like walking most other animals, you have to go where the bunny goes, no ifs, buts or nos.

Having said that, I have used harnesses with two buns (one of which we don't have anymore). They loved it. and the one we have left will continue to be walked on a harness, but only in my garden or somewhere I know is completely safe. I have another 15 that can't and won't tolerate the harness and I'm not going to force them to try.

I'd NEVER use a harness for a rabbit...
The nursery I worked in, very wisely put a harness on the nursey rabbit and didnt take it off, and bunny had struggled so much to get it off, it had tightened and its eyes were bulging out its head :shock:
I think its better just to have a big enclosed run built!

Personally I wouldn't ever use a harness.

I believe them to be dangerous. Rabbits spook too easily and if they did, a harness could do severe damage.

Best avoided.

Thank you for your advice - I will steer clear of the harness - he is a particularly runny and jumpy rabbit who loves to race and jump around his enclosure so a harness would probably be too restrictive. He'll just have to content himself with gazing through the wire at the woods!

I've used harnesses quite often. They're safe as long as you watch the rabbit closely ALL THE TIME. A rabbit should NEVER be left alone wearing one.
The harness should be tight enough for the rabbit to not escape or get its paws stuck in the harness, and wide enough for you to be able to get a finger inside the harness while the rabbit wears it.
Preferably the lead should be fastened on the back of the harness, otherwise it pus a strain on the rabbit's neck:
Ignoring_you_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

The rabbit should be at least 3-4 months for its skeleton to develop properly first (that being said Zakura used one when she was only 5 weeks... I didn't know better then. Every other rabbit I've had used it from 3 months of age except Cloud who doesn't even like me touching him)

Don't use an extendable lead, its abit like dogs you need a short one that you can have close contact with.

I started "training" mine in short sessions indoords instead of outdoors that way you can teach your bunny to accept it in a safer environment.
Most petshops sell them that has an attachable lead.

Never leave them on them when your not there, aslong as you have it on the right tightness then they shouldnt get into a struggle, seen a few people not doing them tightenough and rabbit gets legs stuck.

I would never use a harness with Jazz or Gizmo, but Jack loves the harness and im always with him when he's on it, he doesnt pull or struggle and is totally comfortable with it.

Thank you again for the advice. It does seem to be a personality thing with the particular rabbit - just like kids on reins!:)

I sometimes use a harness for Nettle for when she's visiting new places (well travelled bunny) and she usually enjoys having it on, I think perhaps it acts as a sort of comfort blanket for her? It's made of leather but with thick fluffy fleece padding so that it doesn't rub and feels nice to her. You have to remember that you go where the bunny wants though!

Back