• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When would you decide to let go?

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
Sorry another Mopsy thread.

I was wondering when others would decide that enough was enough for their poorly buns and have them pts.:(

I am going to give the medicine a go but was wondering what everyone else thought and how to make such an impossible decision.:(

You look at your bun, in their eyes, you use your heart and common sense and you make whatever decision you think is right at the time for that particular bunny.

We had to do this with Summer recently and Sweep last year and it was agony waiting for the right time but when it came it was so, so clear. I used to panic about missing it, or getting the wrong time, but it was just so clear to me that the time was right.

So the time to decide when to let go is when you feel it is in the best interests of the bun.

You're looking at things like quality of life, alertness, appetite, etc. that's the logical way to do it, which is sometimes necessary.

Other times you use your heart and that will guide you as to what is best.

I always tended to think though that it was better to read the signs and go slightly early than really regret it and go too late.

How does Mopsy seem in herself? If she seems to be unhappy and in pain, then you might be better to PTS...but if she seems okay, then you should probably give her more time.

It's not a nice decision to have to make. Hugs to you and Mopsy xx

probably when my vet told me that theres no cure for the illness and my pet was suffering worse than enjoying life. :cry::cry:

How does Mopsy seem in herself? If she seems to be unhappy and in pain, then you might be better to PTS...but if she seems okay, then you should probably give her more time.

It's not a nice decision to have to make. Hugs to you and Mopsy xx

She's not happy. She's usually such a happy bunny and does the best flops, you can see pics of her in the floppy buns thread. I havent seen her flop since saturday. She is sitting huddled up and Peter is sitting right next to her grooming her as if he knows. She gets up and moves to the litter tray and mainly the water bowl, nibbles some hay and sits down again. When she is having a big drink Peter will come over and groom her ears.

Her eyes have lost their sparkle.:cry:

I think you'll know when its time to say no more prodding and poking. For me I feel I have to know I have explored every avenue so long as they are still eating and drinking and getting around. But I think you'll know when.

I think that's the right way to look at it. It's about what's best for her, not what we want. She is very lucky to have such a loving bunny mummy.

I think I've missed her story, where is it?

I was given some very good advice by my vet when we had to make the decision with our old almost 18 yr old dog back in February and I think it's advice that can be applied to any animal.

If they aren't in pain(physical and/or mental) give them 7 days, during that 7 days monitor them and count the good and bad days. If the bad outweigh the good then it is time:(

Zebedee was PTS on Saturday because he was not weeing properly for himself and was leaking everywhere. It is the time of year when flystrike would be more of a risk and he hated being cleaned by me all the time. He couldn't get onto his back legs and was shuffling round on his bum causing grazes along the side of his legs. He was going to start getting sores from not moving around all day. It was time to call it a day as his quality of life was compromised too much.

i have just been catchingup with what is happening with mopsey, i think i would personally get a second vets opinion by this i mean a different practise or just a different vet but ideally a diff practise. that would be my first course of action ...prehaps we can reccomend somewone in your area? (this is what i have done with a bun in the past it really did change things)

i would also try and bathe her bum area if she has the begginings of urine scold. have they ruled out kidney problems? (blood tests?) i also think trying janes reccomendations of medicine to rule out cocodis would help.

personally i will never put a rabbit to sleep if i feel they can be saved and go on to have a good life in the future. i assume she ahs some kind of pain relief as that could help her feel happier in herself?

i will try all i can but if i felt that her suffering was getting to much...or if i felt that her life would be full of pain or unhappy then i would stop. i would see how much she wanted to fight too.. i think the owner generally can tell.

which location are you could a different vet be the possible answer in finding a cure? (what tests has she already had please sorry just to recap)

whatever you decide do it in her interests not anyone elses. if she is pts then at least you know she had a good life with you and you treid all you could to make her better. xxx

edited: i notice you are in surrey.. have you tried seeing ivan in bracknell he is a good vet i think the duchess could give oyu his telephone number... or my vet helen at the beeches in slough is very good with rabbits too. i know varioius people use christobel in twickenham also who is very good with rabbits. hope this info helps im sure other people can add more vets

Last edited:
Aw, I've just read it, i'm so sorry. I bet she was the smallest because she was born with these problems, which is very sad for you and for her. She's done well to fight this far.

I only 2 weeks ago had to make this decision for my bun Jelly bean. The best thing i think you can do is place yourself in the rabbit's shoes...what is your quality of life now? Would you want to endure more treatment? or would you like to be at peace? It is a terrible decision to have to make, aboslutely heartbreaking but just know that whatever descion you make, it is the right one nobody can tell you what you should or shouldnt do for your bunny as you are her mum and you know her best.
My thoughts are with you and you have my support no matter the decsion you make.

I've been catching up on Mopsy's story too and I would definately give the Septrin a go as suggested by JacksJane and get a second opinion by a recommended bunny savvy vet before I made any decisions - it could be something quite simply treated that has just been missed.

How about Guy Carter at Medivet in Watford as another suggestion? You could always ask your vet to call with the test results they have already and ask if there's anything else the second vet could suggest - a good vet wouldn't mind this in my opinion, I've known it done with horses.

Back