• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis, dreaded stasis....

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone think buns suffer stasis because they dont drink enough? i rarely see Alvin at the water bowl but he does drink im sure of it... but when he was a lone bunny the bottle never really went down, they do get a mountain of veg daily so i was never overly worried...

no one can tell me why it happens and every single time theres never been anything particular that stands out (apart from a sudden temperature drop the once) even when he had the dental the vet was doubtful it was actually dental pain that caused it

reading on the net and here there is a great concern about dehydration, could the fact Alvin takes less water than Pearl make him possibly prone, vet said yesterday its probably the way hes made, just like humans suffer from tummy issues where others dont :?

wish some genius vet could figure it out :(

does anyone think buns suffer stasis because they dont drink enough? i rarely see Alvin at the water bowl but he does drink im sure of it... but when he was a lone bunny the bottle never really went down, they do get a mountain of veg daily so i was never overly worried...

no one can tell me why it happens and every single time theres never been anything particular that stands out (apart from a sudden temperature drop the once) even when he had the dental the vet was doubtful it was actually dental pain that caused it

reading on the net and here there is a great concern about dehydration, could the fact Alvin takes less water than Pearl make him possibly prone, vet said yesterday its probably the way hes made, just like humans suffer from tummy issues where others dont :?

I just wrote a post asking a very similar thing I just wish I knew what the trigger for stasis is, have lost 2 buns because of it and Biscuit getting it on a too regular basis :censored:

It definitely won't be dehydration that's causing Artie to get stasis regularly as he drinks loads, he's always had a fairly high veg intake as well. It's only two months since he last went through this, he seems absolutely fine in between :?

maybe its the IBS of the rabbit world :? dont understand how they can be so close to death then a few days later act like nothing happened

Alvin is really quiet today, i dunno if hes just worn out from being ill or if hes coming to a halt again, hes eaten a fair amount of hay and veg tho :?

maybe its the IBS of the rabbit world :? dont understand how they can be so close to death then a few days later act like nothing happened

Alvin is really quiet today, i dunno if hes just worn out from being ill or if hes coming to a halt again, hes eaten a fair amount of hay and veg tho :?

I am in a permanent state of panic, Biscuit went from very poorly to running up and down the stairs within 5 hours on Sunday ...unbelievable.

Oh poor Alvin.:( I've never had a bun with stasis so I'm not much help I'm afraid. I'm guessing some buns have more sensitive tummys than others but it would be nice to know wouldnt it.

Might seem a bit OTT but if it was my bun I would keep a little diary putting in a note of what veggies he had and what the weather was like then if it does happen again, fingers crossed it wont, you could see if there was a pattern. I did this with my daughter when we were trying to get her epilepsy diagnosed and it helped a lot.

Dehydration won't necessarily cause stasis in isolation but it WILL make it worse and could result in an impaction. When the guts slow - ileus - bun stops eating/drinking and water is absorbed back out of the GI tract into the bloodstream to rehydrate bunny - normal feedback mechanism. Unfortunately, any faecal matter in the guts will then become dry and hard and impacted - therefore precipitating the ileus and putting bun into stasis. Rehydration is crucial to stimulate gut motility and shift any impacted faecal matter.
Heat stress can cause massive dehydration and as a result ileus and stasis can result from dehydration alone. :(

Oh poor Alvin.:( I've never had a bun with stasis so I'm not much help I'm afraid. I'm guessing some buns have more sensitive tummys than others but it would be nice to know wouldnt it.

Might seem a bit OTT but if it was my bun I would keep a little diary putting in a note of what veggies he had and what the weather was like then if it does happen again, fingers crossed it wont, you could see if there was a pattern. I did this with my daughter when we were trying to get her epilepsy diagnosed and it helped a lot.

i do keep the dates on my calendar, i never vary the diet any more and stick to the same veg...

heres something creepy
24th May 2008 - Alvin had a slow down but recovered before we needed the vets
24th May 2009 - Alvin had stasis and after injections he recovered in a few hours

:? :? :? :? :? :?

i do keep the dates on my calendar, i never vary the diet any more and stick to the same veg...

heres something creepy
24th May 2008 - Alvin had a slow down but recovered before we needed the vets
24th May 2009 - Alvin had stasis and after injections he recovered in a few hours

:? :? :? :? :? :?

That is creepy

Dehydration won't necessarily cause stasis in isolation but it WILL make it worse and could result in an impaction. When the guts slow - ileus - bun stops eating/drinking and water is absorbed back out of the GI tract into the bloodstream to rehydrate bunny - normal feedback mechanism. Unfortunately, any faecal matter in the guts will then become dry and hard and impacted - therefore precipitating the ileus and putting bun into stasis. Rehydration is crucial to stimulate gut motility and shift any impacted faecal matter.
Heat stress can cause massive dehydration and as a result ileus and stasis can result from dehydration alone. :(

thats the thing too... it was milder this week, so if it was the heat why didnt it happen when the temps were unbeleivably hot... i just cant think of one single thing thats changed in his life :( unless pearls illness has caused it, like MissySJ suggested :?

Donna did you get my text I sent about Bobby and what caused his stasis??
I'm not saying thats what Alvin has, but it's a possibility.

If you do suspect it's linked to or exacerbated by stasis, would it be possible to put something delicious in his water for a while to help him through it? or have you tried that :? weird about the dates though.

I lost my wee bunny to stasis a few weeks ago too - it's awful :cry:

She had a year with no health problems and all of a sudden it happened twice within a week and she didn't recover.

I am now terrified every time I see my baby rabbits not moving or eating, thinking there is something wrong with them.

As gorgeous as they are, rabbits are really not easy animals to look after are they - and not good for my blood pressure!!!!

Donna did you get my text I sent about Bobby and what caused his stasis??
I'm not saying thats what Alvin has, but it's a possibility.

hes back to normal tonight, finally :D

we have drugs at home too so i can keep up his treatment for a few more days without having to go back to the vets :D

so pleased he is back to normal Donna,what a terrible few days you have had.
I spend half my life worrying about the animals:roll::lol::lol:
Wouldn,t be without them though:love::love:

so pleased he is back to normal Donna,what a terrible few days you have had.
I spend half my life worrying about the animals:roll::lol::lol:
Wouldn,t be without them though:love::love:

i just came back from the vets with pearl to a mountain of poops :lol::lol:

I'm so pleased & relieved he's back to normal. I've had a lot of "stasis" probs too. Trouble is, that there are many different causes of "stasis", & symptoms vary, some bun's swell up enormously, mine doesn't. Some buns get ill very suddenly, I usually have warning that his gut is slowing down.

I have heard that F.Harcourt-Brown has found that some buns with frequent "stasis" for no apparent reason, have a sharp angle where the small bowel meets the caecum, & operated with success in selected cases.
For the main, it's attention to teeth, very high fiber to help the gut to keep going, hydration as prettylupin describes - mine prefers luke warm water!:roll: Exercise definitely helps too.
There is stress from a fright, psychological stress, (perhaps Pearl being ill), & stress from pain/heat/ sudden temp.drop, or if I stay out all night!! :shock: It usually takes more than 1 factor to cause "stasis" with us.

Maxolon (metaclopramide) improves movement at the top end of the GI tract (best to have some food in to stop painful cramping).
Zantac (ranitidine) improves movement at the lower end of the GI tract. (This is Thumper's problem area)
Metacam for pain relief.
Woodwards gripe water (Jacks Jane) is great for gassy tummy!:):)
Mine has apple twig prunings / leaves & hawthorn leaves & young twigs to increase the dietary fiber content, but has been a poor hay eater until very recently - much prefers bark & leaves :shock:

I HATE stasis too. Each time it's been the hell of whether we'll get through it this time, & fear of losing him. A small supply of the above medicines, & "jumping on it early" has helped so much.
Just hope there's somat useful in there.

I am in a permanent state of panic, Biscuit went from very poorly to running up and down the stairs within 5 hours on Sunday ...unbelievable.

Ack! Now I have more thoughts running through my head!!!!!!! I shouldn't read these forums.:cry::cry::cry:

Reading about Biscuit makes me think I acted too hastily with Frosty and that given time he may have perked up and been fine. I just about felt ok....

Last edited:
Back