• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying with possible pasturella

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbit, Molly, has had a runny nose and sneezing for a few months now. It has slowly improved since she's been on meds, but the vet said it will probably never go away, and she will always be prone to flare ups.
I need to get her spayed, firstly since I dont want her to get cancer and secondly, I dont want her to live alone.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with rabbits undergoing operations like this when they have pasturella or similar infections, and if there is a significantly increased risk. My vet said I should wait another month and keep her on the antibiotics and see how she goes from there. But I cant stand seeing her alone for much longer.

What meds is she on? Is she still showing signs of the pastuerella? If she is, then I wonder if she needs a stronger dose or a different med to try and combat it into being more doormant.

My Tilly has head tilt, and it was caused by an ear infection. She was spayed when the infection had not been treated (due to the RSPCA vets complete lack of knwoledge) and she came through fine from that (when she came to me I got her the treatment she needed and her head is now infinitely better too).

If I were getting a vulnerable bun spayed I would do it in mild weather (but not boiling) and try to get them as good as possible for that date, but also be willing to change the date if necessary.

What meds is she on? Is she still showing signs of the pastuerella? If she is, then I wonder if she needs a stronger dose or a different med to try and combat it into being more doormant.

My Tilly has head tilt, and it was caused by an ear infection. She was spayed when the infection had not been treated (due to the RSPCA vets complete lack of knwoledge) and she came through fine from that (when she came to me I got her the treatment she needed and her head is now infinitely better too).

If I were getting a vulnerable bun spayed I would do it in mild weather (but not boiling) and try to get them as good as possible for that date, but also be willing to change the date if necessary.

She is on 0.75ml of paediatric septrin twice a day, she has improved on these meds but its not gone away. She still has discharge, mainly from her left nostril, and is still sneezing every day. I asked the vet if I could increase the dose and he said there would be no point. The vet gave me another months worth of the Septrin. I just feel like every single vet Ive seen has been absolutley useless, and basically told me to give up on her.
Thanks for the reply x

Ive been contemplating just increasing the meds myself for a week and see how this goes, but I dont think this would be very responsible :S

Last edited:
It may be that that is not strong enough. someone I know found Septrin managed it, but then with Zithromax, it beat it. Have you discussed other options with your vet?

How did you find your vet? I just wonder if you can get a good recommendation from someone near you as to a decent vet that you could see.

No, you're right, definitelu don't mess with the meds yourself, that would not be in the best interests of your bun.

She was on baytril originally for about 3 weeks, and has now been on Septrin for about a month. Luckily it hasnt spread to her lings or anything.
The vets just dont seem interested. This is my local vets I have been going to, which is a 5min walk away, when I registered her I had no way of travelling to another vets, which is why she went there. But I can drive now :D

Maybe you could call and talk to the various vets in the area and see if they can help. The ones you are seeing are clearly not rabbit savvy so it would not be advisable to ask them to spay your girl, far better to get someone knowledgable about rabbits to do that.

i had problems from the start with eric - pasteurella/syphillis/pasteurella/who knows what??!!! i found another vet (recommended by rwa) and they treated him with antibiotic injections. he had to have surgery to remove the gunk and scabs from his nose and his tear ducts flushed. the vet was honest with me then - she said it would probably never totally go as it was so deep rooted, could flare up etc' so we decided that maybe he would have to be a single much loved intact bunny.

so far so good - no recurrence of the snuffles and he has been neutered today.

from my own experience, i would maybe try to eradicate the pasteurella with a different method to see if she improves before you consider spaying?

I suppose I could take her to the vets where I take my tortoises, in leeds, its a bit of a trek, but worth it. They are classed as an 'exotic' vets, which I assume includes rabbits.
Or maybe even Harcourt Brown in Harrogate.

I suppose I could take her to the vets where I take my tortoises, in leeds, its a bit of a trek, but worth it. They are classed as an 'exotic' vets, which I assume includes rabbits.
Or maybe even Harcourt Brown in Harrogate.

i would try another opinion - or even ask the vets you use now to try a different approach?

If you could get to FHB that would be the best bet, you would at least know that you were seeing a decent vet who knows the latest info and treatments.

Well Im already looking for a companion for her, which I probably shouldnt be doing this early! But I'll have to find her another Pasturella bunny, which complicates things a little, since I cant just go to my local rescue.I just cant bear seeing her sat on her own looking lonely.

I think I know of someone who has a female pastuerella bunny looking for rehoming. He was telling me about her a couple of weeks ago. He's rspcarabbits on here. It might be worth contacting him and talking to him if you are interested.

You're probably better off contacting him away from the site though beause he said he hasn't been on much recently. http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/rescue.asp?Rescue=122

Would it be possible to bond a female with another female? I was under the impression this couldnt be done??

Female to male is the most common pairing, but in reality, you can have female to female or male to male, it depends on the rabbits more than the gender. So it would be a possibility but it wouldn't necessarily work, same as any bond.

I suppose it would have to be a trial kind of thing then. Since I no longer have room for two seperate rabbits... just bought a shed!
I was also looking at Brian on the rabbits in need section :love:
If I could take him right now, I certainly would!

Back