• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petplan help please? U/D ARGH AT PETPLAN!!!

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
Im thinking about re-insuraning the rabbits. Flopsy my cousins rabbit, has really got me thinking about this (i have a diffo thread about that) I know dentals at my vets cost atleast £100+, and I know treatment for stasis is roughly £40-£50ish!
If I was to claim using petplan for one of the rabbits - Would I pay the vets then claim the money back, or do you just tell the vets your rabbit is insured and give them the petplan form to claim the money??
I have had them insured previously but I didnt ever need to use it! (hence it being cancelled)
Any help appreciated guys! :D:wave:

Last edited:
Unfortunatly Petplan won't cover dentals but for everything else, it depends on the vets. I've had it where the vet held onto the bill and Petplan paid them direct, and where we had to pay the bill and 3 weeks later a cheque arrived from Petplan (it took them 10 days to send us the claim forms though :roll: ) There is always an excess to pay anyway, currently it's something like £65 for me :roll: used to only be £50 last year...

Treatment for stasis cost me £102 out of hours on a sunday :? and that was where i took her home straight away with a dose of meds and she improved by Monday morning. Don't want to think how much it had cost if she had been hospitalised for a few days :shock:

Last edited:
They do cover dentals as long as it isn't a pre-exisiting condition! Poppy had a dental and I got the money back and she will be covered in the future.

You have to pay first and claim back from petplan

They do cover dentals as long as it isn't a pre-exisiting condition!

I'm sure it says in the standard small print on the back of my policy that it doesn't cover any dental work :? I'll have to look again tonight but they wouldn't cover Sora's dental even though it wasn't a pre-existing condition.

I know treatment for stasis is roughly £40-£50ish

more like £300 - £350 :shock::shock: twice Alvin hasnt bounced back within a few hours... hes only just starting to get an appetite after a whole weekend of illness... i havent totalled it all up yet but its well over 300 quid this time and im still getting medication for him tonight even tho the vet thinks he more or less over it now

If I was to claim using petplan for one of the rabbits - Would I pay the vets then claim the money back, or do you just tell the vets your rabbit is insured and give them the petplan form to claim the money??
I have had them insured previously but I didnt ever need to use it! (hence it being cancelled)
Any help appreciated guys! :D:wave:

with our vets unless it is an on going problem like diabetes or an operation with months of medication they make us pay them first then will fill in the forms to get the money claimed back, youll be lucky to find a vets who will do direct claims for every illness your buns get. it has to be approved by a manager and then if it is only the excess needs to be paid... bloody glad i have a credit card with full credit is all i can say after this last week and having insurance too :shock:

Weird..like I said they paid out when Poppy had spurs and when I asked they said they will continue to pay as long as she is kept insured.

ok :D
its currently going to cost me £55 excess (about the price it costs me to pay for a bout of stasis)
The only pre-exsisting problems ive had is repeated bouts of stasis with Phoebe, which has been under control for atleast a good year now.
The last time petplan insured me - they wouldnt cover Phoebe for gastric stasis until he had, a clear 6 month run without an episode so hopefully theyll cover me this time!

They do cover dentals as long as it isn't a pre-exisiting condition! Poppy had a dental and I got the money back and she will be covered in the future.

You have to pay first and claim back from petplan

they paid out for Alvins teeth burr but then wrote in the letter they will not cover any further teeth trims.. so i dont think they do generally cover dentals

Weird..like I said they paid out when Poppy had spurs and when I asked they said they will continue to pay as long as she is kept insured.

I think I might ring them up again tonight if that's the case :? It was only a week ago that I made enquiries too :shock: I was put through to a foriegn person who insisted 'Dental not cover' (I absolutely HATE people who can't speak or understand English very well on an English company's phonelines) so maybe that was the problem :roll:

Or I could just put a claim form in anyway and see what happens.

I think I might ring them up again tonight if that's the case :? It was only a week ago that I made enquiries too :shock: I was put through to a foriegn person who insisted 'Dental not cover' (I absolutely HATE people who can't speak or understand English very well on an English company's phonelines) so maybe that was the problem :roll:

I may ring them up and ask, because surely if they'll insure one persons rabbit for dentals, you have to do it for the rest :shock: I find it VERY bizare they dont cover dentals for rabbits... :shock:

It only costs about £40 to £50 at my vets Donna :D:wave:;)

Alvin has had in excess of 10 gut stimulant injections, daily pain relief injections, baytril injections all at £7 each.. admitted twice for the day to be nursed and monitored, two fluid injections at £15 admittedly the emergency vets cost bumped it up by about £70 but its been a long few days with a lot of drugs... way more than £50 :(

Alvin has had in excess of 10 gut stimulant injections, daily pain relief injections, baytril injections all at £7 each.. admitted twice for the day to be nursed and monitored, two fluid injections at £15 admittedly the emergency vets cost bumped it up by about £70 but its been a long few days with a lot of drugs... way more than £50 :(

:(
luckily phoebe has his shots and he picks up :D

ooooh let us know how you get on.. Alvin didnt have pre-existing dental issues and his teeth was checked at each jab and the dental he had was minor.. but they only paid because it was possibly linked to his stasis episode... they called it teeth trimming in the letter :?

guys ive just rung petplan The lady's exact words were:
"Aslong as you and your vet can prove the rabbit has had its teeth checked regular, then we will cover dental treatment for rabbits"

guys ive just rung petplan The lady's exact words were:
"Aslong as you and your vet can prove the rabbit has had its teeth checked regular, then we will cover dental treatment for rabbits"

well ill deffo abuse them if he ever needs a dental and they refuse to pay :evil::evil:

well ill deffo abuse them if he ever needs a dental and they refuse to pay :evil::evil:

Yep well this lady was english and said they will cover rabbits for dentals. I'd be a bit concerned if they DIDNT cover dentals to be honest :shock: you would think as rabbit insurers, they would understand a main problem in rabbits, is dental problems.
It's going to cost £35 a month for insurance for my 4 rabbits with a £55 per rabbit per illness, bad or good?

I think petplan staff don't all know their own policy.

It does say that they won't cover routine dental treatments for rabbits, so this would exclude something like a simple burring. But in this case it wouldn't be too expensive anyway, considering the excess is usually £50.

I think they do cover non-routine dental problems. I don't know how they classify this, they might cover tooth removals, or abscesses around the tooth. Unfortunately you probably won't find out until you submit a claim.

I still use petplan, because there are lots of other things that they could need.

Whether petplan pay the money to you or the vet depends on your vet's policy. Basically whether the vet are willing to wait for their money or not! Petplan will pay whichever way your vet want them to.

Back