• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat-proofing rabbit hutch?

Ankhyu

New Kit
Hey everyone,

I don't have any rabbits, but I'm really keen on getting a couple, I have lots of experience with animals as I work in a pet shop and I have homed plenty of rabbits with customers by making sure they're well informed and giving them everything they need. I spend plenty of time researching their care in my spare time.
Normally I wouldn't recommend rabbits as pets to people who have dogs or cats, but my question is, has anybody here owned a cat and a rabbit simultaneously without any problems? Is it possible to properly cat-proof a rabbit hutch? And would it be too stressful to the rabbit to have a cat around even if the rabbit is completely safe and has lots of hiding places?

I don't have the space to keep a rabbit indoors, so it would have to be an outdoor hutch and run. I do have a large garden which is completely walled in, but I have a cat myself who has access outdoors. So ideally if this is in any way feasible, I'd like to have a strong hutch where the rabbits would be safe, and still have plenty of room to run around.

Has anyone here done anything like this before?

I don't have any cats myself but pretty much all my neighbours have them - honestly I have never seen so many cats in one street.

The don't really bother my buns at all. Sometimes they sleep on top of the hutches but as long as the hutches have good weld mesh and bolts so are properly secure a cat shouldn't be able to get in.

My dwarf lop has sometimes tried to see them off though the mesh - the cats actually seem more scared of her than vica versa.

To add - a six foot version of this may be what you are looking for...

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=70

Yes, something like that is what I'd be looking for. Though I know myself the extent of what kinda hutches are available to me around here, I don't think we have anything exactly like that, but we do have two storey hutches, which I could then add a run onto, so it would essentially be the same thing.

There's two rabbits in the pet shop which are honestly the friendliest pair of rabbits I've ever come across. One of them in particular I have really fallen in love with, even though she isn't the most unusual looking rabbit, her personality is great!

So basically I wouldn't get them if they'd be at risk, but I'm also at a disadvantage in that a family have already put a deposit down to take them, but they STILL haven't showed up after nearly a week. So I'm gonna ring them, and if they're not taking them soon then they're mine! Haha

hi, just to say i have always had rabbits and always had cats, they get along great, the cats never go after pet rabbits, they seem to know the difference between wold and pet rabbits, i got a rabbit last week and my cat gave it a sniff and then when my rabbit sniffed back my cat ran away lol,
my neighbours have cats too and none of them have tried to attack my rabbit and my rabbit is definatly not scraed of them

We've got cats and rabbits and it's never been a problem.

At the weekend there was a big Persian cat in the garden. Sooty ran over to it and it jumped over the fence, it looked terrified!

Back