• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Rabbit /Breeders Help please

natalie2009

Young Bun
My rabbit has had a baby, is it normal to have just one baby? (before anyone says anything she was due to be spayed in 2 weeks i was unaware she was pregnant)

Shes not with boy, my 2 yr old opened both the girls and boy cage luckly one girl stayed in the hutch but the other was in the garden i thought i got there in time but obviously not. There are all booked to be spayed.

Ill post pics when im not so scared of looking in the nest lol glad shes only had one as we can keep him/her x

I think it's quite unusual, keep a close eye on her. If you want to pick her up to check her over do it away from the nest and do not disturb the nest. If she still has babies inside her she could become ill.

Yes, it's not that common, but then most breeders breed to avoid that possibility.

What does the baby look like, is it alive?

How is mum acting? Is she acting normal? Eating? pooing? lively?

Yes, it's not that common, but then most breeders breed to avoid that possibility.

What does the baby look like, is it alive?

How is mum acting? Is she acting normal? Eating? pooing? lively?

Babies definatly alive as i checked to make sure if there where any others and it moved to to top and i saw its head, i was suprized by its size it had black skin and alittle blood on its ear but that looks like it was from the birth tbh it scares me looking incase i touch it as mums alittle flighty anyway so i dont want to disturb to much. Its moves if you touch the nest. Does that sound like its doing ok?

Mum is nearly 2, shes fine before we got her she had, had a little and raised them well as we got her and her daughter at the same time, so hopefully that means shes a good mum. Shes just lazing out in the hutch acting completely normal perhaps pooing more than usual but they look fine.

Does she need to stay in the hutch now or can i let her out? Sorry for sounding like an idiot but i really didnt expect this x

I'm glad mum is doing well :) I would just be aware that she has another uterine horn and potentially another baby or two in there which she may kindle tomorrow. I have heard of that happening a few times if the labour has been hard, and it happened to one of my buns. I'm only saying that so if you find more in the nest in the future, that's how it happened.

I'm glad the baby is alive :)

You will need to check the baby daily to make sure it's being fed. If it's being fed it will look like it swallowed a ping pong ball. Give her 24 hours though before being concerned because they generally don't feed straight away (although some do).

If you think mum will be a problem give her some treats when you go near the nest and also put a drop of vanilla just above her nose, then stroke all over her and then you can check the baby.

What does the nest look like? Is it a good nest?

I personally wouldn't let mum out right now, but that might just be me.

Oh, and you're not sounding like an idiot, you're just asking questions to find out what is best to do. The idiot is the person who doesn't ask questions.

Rabbits can have anything from 1-15 babies so its not impossible.
You can handle the mother pretty much as usual. They don't feed their kits more than once or twice a day, with Aroma's first litter I continued to take her out for a run while I was cleaning her hutch, eventually the babies would go with her too when they were old enough to move around. She was away from the babies maybe half an hour-one hour each time.

The kit moves when you touch the nest if it thinks you're its mom coming to feed it. Mine flipped out when I arrived:lol: At times they bounced around like crazy! (They were getting fed as they all had round bellies). I even have a video made of them when they were only a day old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7JVRGLVvc

What does the nest look like? Is it a good nest?

Its huge! I think shes gone abit ott with the nest building as theres that much hay and fur i cant see anything without having to move stuff about. Do i need to touch the baby to see its belly i have only seen its head so far. If so ill go and try to have another look. Thanks so much for the help its really appreciated x

Yeh, you can see its belly without touching it, but equally, it should ok to handle it. I handled my litters from day 2 (which was day 1 for some), just be sensitive to the doe.

If you are not comfortable handling it then just rummage around in the nest. you need to do that any way though because you need to ensure there is no random placenta in there or a dead baby at the bottom.

Good to hear its a good nest though :)

Theres 2!! One black one and one pink with dark spots. Both look well and not skinny scared me to death looking at them though. No signes of afterbirth or anything so thats good she didnt bother with me looking :)

That's brilliant Natalie. Sounds like you will be able to check the nest with ease then. And congrats on the other one :)

My bet now is that the one you saw this morning is a boy and the other is a girl. Purely because the boys are often more vocal and do what the kit did this morning.

Hopefully tomorrow they will look very swollen and round and full of milk :D

Me again lol they are coming upto 3 days old, both silly wriggly and look healthy so thats good. When should i clean out the bed? Ive been researching alittle and i think they will start growing fur now although both still baldy atm, mums happy with me checking them which is good x

You can clean it at any point but you need to try and salavage as much of the current nest as possible. It definitely needs to be clean around the time they start to open their eyes (10-14 days old) to prevent eye infections. I personally left mine as long as I could. I think I changed it day 9 or something like that.

Back