• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eric's op today...

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
i've taken eric to the vet's this morning for his dentistry and plumectomy. nurse says she'll ring me at 2pm. not pacing much:oops:..........

she did say that often they keep them in overnight so that they can make sure they're eating and pooping following an op so that they can give them meds if needed. sounds pretty good - i just wasn't expecting it :cry:

is that the done thing?

.... plumectomy.. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Most vets will send them home in the late afternoon if they seem to be recovering well, but some prefer to keep a close eye on them overnight. Hope it all goes well. :love:

Good luck Eric :wave:

Might be worth checking your vet actually does have someone who stays in overnight with them....if not he'd be better off at home with you syringe feeding/medicating at home if need be. Hopefully he won't need any of this and will be home this afternoon! :)

Good luck Eric :wave:

Might be worth checking your vet actually does have someone who stays in overnight with them....if not he'd be better off at home with you syringe feeding/medicating at home if need be. Hopefully he won't need any of this and will be home this afternoon! :)

that's a good point, thank you - i'm sure she said something about being able to give meds in the morning if need be:? i'll ask when they ring. i've never had success with eric and a syringe tho - we were both traumatised by our original vets 'treatment' so fingers crossed they will be able to give him some recovery to get him on the way to eating properly.
(mind you, whether eric is with me or at the vet's tonight, i won't sleep anyway:oops:).

I think it's more stressful to start syringe feeding on the evening of the op & is not usually necessary. I would tempt him with as many tasty treats as possible for tonight and take him back to the vets in the morning if he still hasn't eaten as he may need extra pain relief.

I think it's more stressful to start syringe feeding on the evening of the op & is not usually necessary. I would tempt him with as many tasty treats as possible for tonight and take him back to the vets in the morning if he still hasn't eaten as he may need extra pain relief.

thanks karen:D
i took some of his faves with him this morning that they could offer to try to tempt him. just waiting for that call now......not hyperventilating much:oops: i've kept myself occupied by cleaning son's room:lol: (yes - i'm feeling that stressed:lol:)

Aaaargh, housework ..... you must be stressed. :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say that Alfie was still eating like a pig straight after his neuter :roll: but Bubbles was much more subdued & only ate very little every now and then for the first day or so.

Tons of vibes for him :love:
It is normal for them to keep them in overnight - don't panic. It's just to syringe and make sure his gut is moving.
You may have to give him fibreplex in the morning :)

update on eric

vet nurse phoned - eric has come round fine and is taking the syringe feed really well. he's even munched on a bit of hay:D when she said they'd keep him in overnight, i asked if anyone was on site - no, but the vet calls in to check. hmmmm. i asked whether i could bring him home as i could keep an eye on him and she said yes if i was ok with syringe feeding him (not sure he'd need it for long tho:??) but that he does have to have some more sub-cut fluids at 6pm so i couldn't pick him up til later.
i'd also have to take him back in the morning anyway to be checked.

she said that he seems pretty settled at the moment so i'm now thinking it may cause him unnecessary stress picking him up and taking him back tomorrow.

i'lll ring for an update at 6 anyway but do you think he'd be better there overnight resting rather than at home with me watching him like a paranoid hawk?

If he's munching on some hay already, there's a good chance you might not even need to syringe feed later on. :) It depends how you think Eric would cope with staying there as opposed to being brought home tonight and taken back in the morning, but I would choose to bring him home if it was Alfie we were talking about - which would you feel most comfortable with?

Glad he came through it fine :D

Personally, I would bring him home. All of mine have come home the same day when they were spayed/neutered.

doesn't seem i have a choice :(

the vet rang. eric's still doing well:D
i think she rang to put me off wanting to take him home really as they have their own measures in place to check on them:oops: (i wasn't saying i'd do a better job, just that i could be with him all the time - probably got me down as panicky bunny mummy now:roll:)

i have to ring in the morning to arrange to (hopefully) fetch him home - long night looming:cry:

one thing she did comment on tho - he's had to have stitches as for a little rabbit, he had huuuuggge testicles:lol:

Aww Wendy!! i didnt realise he was going in today. Im so glad everything went ok :) Its just routine for some vets to keep them in overnight hun, nothing to worry about. Your little man will be home tomorrow! :love: xXx

Is your little man (with the big balls :oops::oops:) home yet Wendy? :D

no karen - i'm distraught! i rang the vets from the school car park as soon as they opened thinking i'd be able to go straight over.

no. eric hasn't poo'd:(

they've given him an injection and are continuing to syringe feed him. the nurse says he seems bright, comes to the front of the cage for some fuss etc (i grilled her on whether he seemed stressed:oops:) and i believe they're doing something else at 12 (brain was in panic mode by then so i'm not sure if that's a syringe feed or another med to get his guts moving).

i just have such a bad feeling - esp as i was in 2 minds even until i took him in whether to put him thro the castration but he'd got to have one of his teeth done anyway:cry:

Oh no, poor Eric. :(:( I really assumed he would have sailed through the op and been home already and causing mayhem.

Sending lots of vibes for Eric. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you were doing the right thing for Eric & hopefully he'll be back to normal very soon. xx

Mine never pooped for at least 24 hours after the op.

Hopefully you will be able to pick him up very soon.

Back