• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tripod Bunnies?

FluffyBun

Warren Scout
At the end of the month I'm hopefully going to pick up a three legged bun (he'll be a couple of months old). The breeder isn't sure if he was born that way or his mum bit his leg off when he was a tiny kit, as this one was hidden at the back of the nest - I think she thought she had 3 but it turned out to be 4 kits and the one she hadn't got a close look at for a week or two was this one. Apparently the missing limb is a fore leg - the bun is extremely lively and happy and bouncing around - and she commented s/he in fact seems the happiest and healthiest of the lot.
:D
I already have a blind dog and a three legged cat, so seem to be a bit of a magnet for the disabled pets.:D

But just wondering has anyone here ever had a similar bunny? Anything I should be aware of?

I would suggest getting him x-rayed to see exactly what is going on, especially as there is a chance the mum bit it off.

I would check regularly for sore hocks on his back legs especially as he grows older, as he will be putting more weight and pressure on these than a 4 legged bunny. He will possibly need help washing his face and eye on that side and probably his ear.

Is he going to be an indoor or out door bunny?

Ah thanks for that cos right away you have raised issues I hadn't thought of. :D I'm still deciding whether indoors or outdoors - tbh I was going to wait til I got him and see what his personality's like as I have otudoors bunnies and was thinking of having an indoors one. Indoors might make more sense, eh?

With my cat I have to be careful how I feed her (especially now she's 14) as if she put on weight it would stress her heart, I'm told. We have managed to keep her slimline and she is as active as a 4 legged cat even at her advanced age. But that's the only thing we had to think about with the cat! X Ray sounds a good idea.

I was just thinking of flooring possibilities to prevent sore hocks as I have found that they are more of a problem when there a disability with the front legs than the back :)

3 legged buns can't move around very well on certain types of flooring - lino and tiles are a definite no-no.

They somtimes can't use ramps very well either, or jump in and out of a high sided litter tray or cage base.

Back