• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do?????

mcv

Young Bun
As you know floppy has been with me for a week.
Ive been here quite a bit researching etc.
He's now in his bigger hutch and i would like to get him a girl friend, he seems to enjoy the company of the guinea pigs when i put their runs side by side.

Floppy isnt neutered yet it is something that i will do. probably in a few weeks as money is a bit tight this week.
Now i will be looking to rehome a rescue bunny, which will be spayed ( if thats the right word)

My question is this, for those of you who know far more than me.............
Would you wait till floppy is neutered or shall i start looking for a friend for him now??
I will obviously go by what you advise me.
I just thought that if the new bunny has been done then there is no chance of babies, but dont know what would be best fior both of them
Claire

I personally would suggest waiting until he is neutered and healed. His behaviour might remain hormonal for a few weeks after a neuter so you could even sensibly wait until after that. The hormonal behaviour can be enough to cause fights, and also, when he is neutered, his behaviour will change as might the heirachy if he has been freshly bonded with someone, so for the success rate and for safety, it is better to wait until he has been done.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with looking to see what's about, visiting your local rescue centres, etc.

please don't bond him beofre he is neutered a she will constantly mount the doe and it will likely end in a fight
Wait until he is done..give him at least 2 weeks to recover..then find a speyed doe

As already said you could start making enquiries now as most rescues homecheck and that can be done and out the way:D

Do make sure you have the funds to care for two rabbits..vets bills can be very expensive

Thanks for the advice, i will have floppy done and wait for him to heal first.
like you say though i may start making enquiries.

I realise vet fee's are expensive, and i can afford to look after two.
What do you think about pet insurance?? does anyone have any for their bunny's??
Claire

Yes I have it. It's worth it if you couldn't afford the hugely expensive vet bills, eg £2000! If their insured you don't have to worry about making horrible decisions so much.

I realise vet fee's are expensive, and i can afford to look after two.
What do you think about pet insurance?? does anyone have any for their bunny's??
Claire

I think it's definitely worth having. In the last month I've had to pay out about £450 (£300 for rabbit/£150 for cat). Although I had to pay out and claim back, and you have an excess to pay, I definitely prefer to pay monthly to petplan and know I don't have to worry if there are huge bills.

We have it for our dog, but have never had to use it thankfully.
How much on average is it for a bunny??

I had pet insurance for kermit....petplan, they paid out over £600 so far for his head tilt and ive also just put in another claim
I will always get my pet insured.

Back