• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with the roof for the run.

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I am ordering panels to make a 9' x 12' run but the man said it wouldn't be able to have a roof cos the panels are 3' x 6' and wouldn't span the gap - (I'm having it so the the 6' is the height) HELP! It's got to have a roof - lots of cats etc. What can I do? What have those of you with big runs done?

Put a 9' long support beam across the centre span then do six 6'x3' panels. You'll probably need to go to a timber merchant rather than diy store to get it.

You might need three 9' beams actually at the 3' 6' and 9' mark. Depends how sturdy it is. Or you could pillar in the centre under the beam to support it better (cover the bottom 18" in mesh so it doesn't get eaten).

I think what you need is a support beam going across the middle so that on either side of the beam you have two sections which will be 9ft x 6ft, you can then use three panels on each side to totally cover the roof. And yes you will definately need to support that beam in the middle with some sort of post. Won't need to be a huge post, just get a fence support post or something

You could also try to make the roof out of huge panels yourself. eg two panels 9ft x 6ft or one huge panels 9ft x 12ft. They would be harder to get into place but would be more stable, you would still need the support bean in the center.

plan.jpg

Last edited:
I was hoping to do it without the support beam - I want to be able to sit in it without a beam being there. WOuldn't it support itself if put onto the downbits of the panels IYKWIM? Hope so!

If you use just the beam across the top I think it would sag in the middle but probably hold itself. Trying to do it with just 6ft x 3ft panels it would not hold itself because they would just bend under their own weight where they are joined. You need to have a single piece of wood going across the top at the very least. I would place the beam flush with the top of the side panels so the roof panels would sit on top of both of them, like in my diagram. You would hold the beam up by drilling into the beam through the side panels. You would have to put the rest of it together of course before putting the beam up.

Yes, I'd probably have the 3 9' beams across the top and fill in with the 6 panels that Tamsin suggested - I t's just that it'll cost so much more than planned! Maybe I won't make it so high - I am back to sqare 1 again! I need to get this right first time! I want a big run - about that size I said - also need to be able to sit in it and get in to clean it. If I could make do with it 4' high hubby would be delighted - but how would I open it to clean it??

I don't think the height really matters too much to the stability, if it holds itself at 4ft it will probably hold itself at 6ft.

I have 3ft high run that is 6ft x 6ft. I just crawl in to it, I could sit quite comfortably in it if I wanted. One of the roof panels is fixed down and the other is hinged, so I can completely open up one side if I want to and could stand in it, when it's down it's held in place by a breton bolt to the panel that is fixed.
smallend.jpg

If you were thinking of changing the size, if it were 6ft wide instead it would be a lot easier as the roof panels would naturally fit across the width. Then you could have it as long as you want.

Last edited:
I have a 16m2 enclosure. it olny has one 2"x4" beam going across the center to stop the mesh from sagging. it' been up for three years now and i've had no problems with it. I can't post pictures on here or I'd be able to show you exactly how i've built it.

Last edited:
It depends how chunky your support beam is too, a 2x4 like Simon suggests should do it as long as the rest of the construction is sturdy enough to support the weight of the beam. If it's not you could put a post each end of the beam instead of the centre.

It depends how chunky your support beam is too, a 2x4 like Simon suggests should do it as long as the rest of the construction is sturdy enough to support the weight of the beam. If it's not you could put a post each end of the beam instead of the centre.
is there a way i can post a photo of my enclosure ?

07111404.jpg

08060800.jpg

08060802.jpg

When my Daughter asked me if she could have a Rabbit I said yes but I didn't want to keep anything in a hutch so I built this. First I dug out a meter deep over 16m2, secured in the posts for the walls and and lined it all with 6"s of concrete. Doing this basically turned the hole into a kind of concrete pit. I then filled it in with mud so that the Rabbits could dig in there without being able to escape. Without going to far off topic, Tasmin is right. As long as the walls of your run are secure and strong your roof will only need beams to stop the mesh from sagging. hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours does look great :)

It looks like you've used some nice decent wood though, most aviary panels are made of stuff a lot thinner though, which is why I think they won't be able to support the roof well for the original poster :?

Yours does look great :)

It looks like you've used some nice decent wood though, most aviary panels are made of stuff a lot thinner though, which is why I think they won't be able to support the roof well for the original poster :?

I've never seen aviary pannels and I don't no how they are held together. There isn't alot of weight in mesh though.

Have ordered the avairy panels. It's now going to be 5' high cos hubby didn't want it to be seen from the carpark (surrounding our house) So I have ordered 13 5' x 3' panels and a door panel. This will make a 12' x 9' run which will surround his 4x4 playhouse. Awww. Can't wait. Will do the roof at a later stage! The wood is 1.5 x 1.5 and the mesh is 1 x .5 and 19 guage. Does this sound O.K?

Back