• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is he ok?

Hi just got a quick question about Bugsy. Today in his cage i found 2 cecal poo's now i have been reading about these on the internet and i now no he should be eating these straight from his bum, He is acting fine and lively asever he is a 9 week old dwarf lop should i be worried about him not eating these?

Hi just got a quick question about Bugsy. Today in his cage i found 2 cecal poo's now i have been reading about these on the internet and i now no he should be eating these straight from his bum, He is acting fine and lively asever he is a 9 week old dwarf lop should i be worried about him not eating these?

Not in the short-term as long as he is otherwise well in himself and eating and doing plenty of normal droppings too. BUT uneaten caecotrophs could indicate a gut out of balance - caecal dysbiosis and it is better to address this issue asap to prevent any further, more serious, complications arising such as massive caecal dysbiosis which can lead to an episode of bloat/stasis - which in very young buns can mean mucoid enteritis and diarrhea and dehydration, or the uneaten caecotrophs sticking to bunny's bum and putting him more at risk of fly strike .
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=670
These are good articles:
The best way to keep the caecal bacteria in a healthy balance is to cut down on starchy/carbohdyrates (pellets, sugary treats/fruit cereals etc) and protein, and increase the amount of fibre - hence unlimited hay.
Certain veggies or rabbits not used to veg or fresh grass too quickly can also cause this.
So nothing to worry about too much now but it's a reminder from your bunny to address their diet asap.

when Alvin was a baby i used to find the odd one lying about, maybe at that age they havent learned completely that they need to be eaten. i think you should only worry if its all the time instead of occasionally

Has his diet changed at all? Or anything else in his world?

Well he has a new house now as we only brought him home on the 6th of this month, He is on the same food as before but the only differnce is the timothy hay we give him is from pets at home and not where the breeder got there's from

Well he has a new house now as we only brought him home on the 6th of this month, He is on the same food as before but the only differnce is the timothy hay we give him is from pets at home and not where the breeder got there's from

How much dried food do you give him? and how much hay does he eat? have you given him any veg? It could be the stress of all the changes as you've only just got him and he's only just been separated from his mum and home....stress can cause digestive upset too.

How much dried food do you give him? and how much hay does he eat? have you given him any veg? It could be the stress of all the changes as you've only just got him and he's only just been separated from his mum and home....stress can cause digestive upset too.

We give him half a bowl of dried food in the morning, he gets unlimited hay and he always eats it, we dont give him veg as we got told he's too young for it yet as hes only 9 weeks is this correct? How much dried food should he be getting per day weight wise? Hes a 9 week old dwarf lop

It's generally said that a young rabbit needs unlimited pellets, however, I found with some of mine that unlimited pellets gave us excess cecals up to our eyeballs so I had to cut down for their sake. I cut down gradually until they had the maximum amount that they could tolerate and kept adjusting upwards as they grew.

If it is just one though it could be he got distracted or something, so maybe watch and see if this is a reoccuring problem before doing anything too drastic.

I have found a similar problem today while clearing out my rabbit cage. I have two rabbits (eight week old dwarf lops) so not sure which one it might be. They seem fine, are eating, drinking and running around.

I'm a bit unsure about how much dried food to feed them too - they are on a muesli type food and are eating selectively so quite a lot of it's getting thrown away. I've been filling the bowl twice a day (one bowl for the two of them) but I would say about two thirds of that is getting chucked out. If their food gets really cut down will they be okay as long as they are eating plenty of hay and water?

I haven't introduced veg yet. And I hope to get them on to the excel junior pellets soon.

I only got my rabbits on Sunday so maybe it's just the changes that's unsettled them??

Back