• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re our grumpy rabbit

Lucymum

New Kit
Hi there - i am looking for a little bit of advice regarding our 8 month old male rex, Smokey.

We have had Smokey since he was a couple of months old and since day one has has not liked being handled and has been quite aggressive, grunting,
biting and kicking out - as such picking him up is quite an ordeal.

We thought his temperment would improved once neutered but if anything he is worse, he will attack and nip/bite when you put you hands in to feed or change his litter tray and picking him up or getting him into his pet carrier for trips to the vet or the boarding hotel is near on impossible.

We hoped to get him a friend once he was neutered as we feel he may well be lonely but to be honest i am afraid to do so...... does anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance

You are right to want to get him a friend, all rabbits need company of their own kind. Also, you may find that he calms down with a friend to interact with all the time. The best place to go will be a rescue centre (not P@H) becsaue they can help with bonding and you will be giving a home to a needy rabbit.

With regards to his behaviour, the vast majority of rabbits are not fans of being picked up! They are prey animals, so in the wild the only things that pick them up tend to eat them. I have two rabbits and my male, Inky, hates being picked up, even though he is one of the friendliest rabbits on the planet when he is on the ground.

I would imagine that the nipping/btiing when you put your hands in, is territorial behaviour. Does he have access to a run? If not, you might want to think about getting him a hutch with a run attached (that you can close off at night), that way while he is enjoying himself in the run, you can do the household stuff.

Lastly, it may be worht taking him tot he vets to be checked over, just in case he has a problem which is causing his aggressive behaviour.

Hope this helps

FC x

Thanks for the reply, he has full access to a run, his hutch sits inside and he has free reign all day.

The last couple of times we have been away i have booked him in at My Pet Stop and he has been the same with them, however they have suggested i get in touch with the RSPC regarding a possible pairing with a rabbit of a similar age. My only worry is that we only have one hutch and run and i would have thought it unwise to introduce a new rabbit to his territory????

Thanks for the reply, he has full access to a run, his hutch sits inside and he has free reign all day.

The last couple of times we have been away i have booked him in at My Pet Stop and he has been the same with them, however they have suggested i get in touch with the RSPC regarding a possible pairing with a rabbit of a similar age. My only worry is that we only have one hutch and run and i would have thought it unwise to introduce a new rabbit to his territory????

The initial bonding would have to take place in neutral territory, this means finding a room in the house that hasn't been used by him, or a garage or shed or even putting a bonding pen up somewhere with a fresh piece of carpet or lino underneath to make the space neutral. I personally would not advise a small space like a bath or carry cage in car, bonding bunnies are already under stress and do better with more space and the least stressful environment possible. You can do bonding quickly or slowly, so may want to get a female and keep her side by side for a few weeks first before starting gradual time together in neutral territory - which would require separate accomodation for both, or you may want to do it quickly - in which case finding a good rabbit rescue who can bond for you is a good idea - they may also allow your bun to come along and 'pick' his new wife.
Our neutered male used to be pretty territorial around his hutch - neutering only reduces territorial instincts it won't remove them. But when we bonded him with a girl bun all his territorial behaviour over his own space towards us vanished. It's her now that doesn't approve!
But, saying this, it is always a good idea to clean your bunny out or make any hutch changes when bunny is OUT of the hutch and busy elsewhere - no rabbit really likes being cleaned out whilst they're still in it, it feels like a threat and a territory invasion to them. Best to wait til they are out or lock them out whilst you tidy/clean up :D

My Rex hates being picked up too - try sitting with him and letting him come to you - feed him by hand when he does this. It takes time.

My Smudge will hop out of his run if I lift the lid - if I was to try to lift him out he'd nip. He free ranges the garden while I am around but catchin him again is a problem as he sees me coming and runs! lol. I have to throw an old cot sheet over him to catch him. Then I can lift him back in the run - or his playhouse to sleep. He is friendly when I go out to see him if he is free ranging - he'll come to me as he's nosey but I can only play with him on his terms. He's 15 months old and single - I am getting him neutered at the end of the month.

matthew rabbit loves to be picked up and cuddled for hours. his sister tabitha doesn't like to be picked up or held,but doesn't want to be left out when cuddles are available, so i put her on the desk and stroke her - she likes to have her feet on something firm.

i thought at first that tabby just didn't like to cuddle, but when we had visitor buns it was so obvious that when everyone else had a cuddle except her, she sat and stared, and looked at me...so we reached our compromise.

well i have to say i agree get him a laid back girlfreind.

dora isnt a nasty bun but she used to be very territorial about everything while it hasnt ceased ocmpletly and i do get the occasional scram off her i can now stroke her.... what magic did i work? arthur the freindly lop!!! lol she is so content with him. bondings usually need to take place in a neutra territory and with both buns being neutered previously. however some bunnys are love at first sight.... arthur escaped while i was preparing his bonding area and dora ran to him and sat cuddled with him....i was panicingand wasnt going to let him into her hutch then once i tired to put her in for the night..... they scampered in together and i tried to take him out of her hutch.... she bit me and hard she was protecting him saying i want him to stay!!! so they have been freinds ever since... other buns i have always used the neutral territory thing to bond with it only happened this way as he escaped (norty arthur!) i really think a calm laid back freind is in order! :) xxx

thanks for the responses - its given me some food for thought. Last time we boarded him at My Pet Stop it was suggested we consider contacting the RSPCA regarding their rescue rabbits and to seek some advice from them - it was even mooted that they may let them bond on neuteral territory there. I will give them a call and see what they say. thanks again......... hopefully Smokey will be laid back and chilled sooner than we thought!!!!

he sounds just like my Alvin.. he is only human agressive and adores his wife... problem with a feisty bun is you need a lovely submissive girly who dont object to constant humping :lol::lol::lol:

Alvin is a lot more tolerant of me now he has Pearl :love::love:

i love Alvin for his attitude and Pearl adores him (when hes not humping) :love::love::love:

I agree with all the advice you;ve been given.
Monty was agressive when we first got him, he nipped and bit my o/h constantly. A year later we got Audrey....... and Monty is the most laid back bunny you would ever find!
god luck in finding your bunny a friend.
xxx

Back