• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Non-stop humping - should I seperate?!

Debster

Mama Doe
Hello :wave:, my two male buns are going to be neutered on Wednesday, and there has been a lot of humping going on, which I know is normal behaviour. But today it seems to have got a bit worse - they have been out in the garden all day and Pickle just won't leave Timmy alone! Poor Timmy is constantly hopping around with Pickle trying to mount him, though Timmy hasn't been agressive it can't be much fun? Pickle has also been pulling Timmy's fur off his neck while he's doing it.

I've just tried seperating them for 10 mins and put Timmy in the hutch to give him a bit of a break, but he just wanted to come out again. Should I just leave them to it until Wednesday or should I seperate them? I have 2 indoor cages so they could still see each other, just feel a bit sorry for poor Timmy!

I know you feel bad for Timmy-I would, too! As long as there is no fighting going on I believe it's best to just leave them. I understand that separating could damage any bond they may have.
The fur-pulling bothers us more than it does them, I think!
I am a new bun owner, though, so more input from more experienced sources would be great!

Hello :wave:, my two male buns are going to be neutered on Wednesday, and there has been a lot of humping going on, which I know is normal behaviour. But today it seems to have got a bit worse - they have been out in the garden all day and Pickle just won't leave Timmy alone! Poor Timmy is constantly hopping around with Pickle trying to mount him, though Timmy hasn't been agressive it can't be much fun? Pickle has also been pulling Timmy's fur off his neck while he's doing it.

I've just tried seperating them for 10 mins and put Timmy in the hutch to give him a bit of a break, but he just wanted to come out again. Should I just leave them to it until Wednesday or should I seperate them? I have 2 indoor cages so they could still see each other, just feel a bit sorry for poor Timmy!

I would personally separate until neutered when you can rebond them, a fight could break out over night and someone could get seriously injured otherwise. You often have to rebond after a neuter op anyway so I would separate them and keep them side by side as you suggested to prevent any injury. But that's just my opinion. If they were already bonded and neutered then I would say different! Good luck with the ops :)

Thank you, prettylupin. Advice from an experienced bun owner is great to have! I've learned something new, too!

Last edited:
I would separate them as well-my boys had a huge fight overnight when their hormones kicked in and poor frank had to have an operation to repair his eye :cry:

I'd separate particularly as they're being neutered soon.
You don't want a newly neutered buck continually mounting as he could damage his wound.
I'd let them settle for a few weeks post neuter and then re-bond.

Thanks all for the advice. May not be able to get them neutered tomorrow now, as Pickle has now got a runny nose and sneezes :(, so am taking him to the vets this afternoon to see what he says.

Back